Finding Elasticity in Demand: Solving for p in the Demand Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of derivatives and elasticity in relation to a given demand equation. It provides a step-by-step solution for finding all values of p for which demand is elastic, using the equation for elasticity and solving inequalities. It concludes that the range for |\eta| > 1 is 20/3 < p < 20, and that plugging in any value within this range will result in the desired outcome.
polak333

Homework Statement

Derivatives and elasticity:
The demand equation for a product is q = [tex]\left(\frac{20-p}{2}\right)[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] for 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] p [tex]\leq[/tex] 20.

a) find all values of p for which demand is elastic.

Homework Equations

Elasticity: [tex]\eta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{p}{q}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{dq}{dp}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that if it has to be elastic, then |η| > 1.
However, how do I show this.
Do I just set any number larger than 1 as η, and then solve for p and q?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you first show me what [tex]\eta[/tex] is equal to?

Do you mean η = p / q · dq / dp

q = ((20-p)/2)^2
q' = (p-20)/2

.: η = p / ((20-p)/2)^2 · (p-20)/2

And since I know |η| must be greater than 1, then do I set η to something such as -2? or use -10? That's the only part I don't clearly understand because I could use any number, would it always give the correct answer?

So would I use:

-2 = p / ((20-p)/2)^2 · (p-20)/2

Sorry I didn't use tex, but it honestly wasn't working at all. It'd just show random signs...

So I tried it:

η = p / q · dq / dp
1 = p / q · dq / dp
1 = p/((20-p)/2)^2 · (p-20)/2
... (some work) ...
1 = (2p-40)/(20-p)^2
20 - p^2 = 2p - 40
0 = -60 + 2p + p^2
p = -8.81 (inadmissible)
p = 6.81

So therefore, 6.81 < p < 20.

For those values of p, η is elastic. Does it look right?

That's good. Now you could simplify the expression by noticing that [tex](20-p)^2=(p-20)^2[/tex] and cancelling, but it's not completely necessary. In fact, for the way I would go about solving the next task in this problem, it's actually better in the form it already is.

If we are told that for some number x, [tex]|x|>1[/tex] then this means that [tex]x<-1, x>1[/tex] because if we use say, x=-2 then |-2|=2>1.

Now you need to solve both inequalities for p. [tex]\eta>1[/tex] and [tex]\eta<-1[/tex] and find the intersection between the range of p that you found. For example, if you find for the case where [tex]\eta>1[/tex] that [tex]1<p<3[/tex] and in the second case you find that [tex]2<p<4[/tex], both cases need to hold for [tex]|\eta|>1[/tex] so the answer would be [tex]2<p<3[/tex].

Ok, never mind the post above, it was totally wrong already on the second step.

Anyways, this time I think I got it:

-1 = p/((20-p)/2)^2 · (p-20)/2
-1 = (2p^2-40p)/(20-p)^2
-(20-p)^2 = 2p^2 - 40p
-p^2 + 40p - 400 = 2p^2 - 40p
0 = 3p^2 - 80p + 400

p = 20/3, 20

Did the same using:
... (work) ...
p = +- 20

Therefore, 20/3 < p < 20.
I believe that's it, however they don't give an answer.

Now I can check by plugging in 20/3 and (something less than) 20 as η, and hopefully |η| > 1.

You should be solving inequalities -

[tex]\frac{2p(p-20)}{(p-20)^2}<-1[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{2p(p-20)}{(p-20)^2}>1[/tex]

But anyway you still get the same answer (remember that solving inequalities requires that you multiply through by a positive number, or by a negative number and reversing the sign - which is why having a perfect square in the denominator was better than simplifying).

So your range for [tex]|\eta|>1[/tex] is [tex]20/3<p<20[/tex] so yes, plugging in any value of p in that range will give your desired result. Plugging in 20/3 or 20 will give [tex]|\eta|=1[/tex].

Thanks.

So for:

it would be:
1 < p/((20-p)/2)^2 · (p-20)/2
... (work) ...
1 < (2p^2-40p)/((20-p)^2
p^2 - 40p + 400 < 2p^2 - 40p
0 < p^2 - 400

p > 20 or P < -20

Is that how it would look like?

Yep that's it :smile:

But notice that the demand equation is only valid for [tex]0\leq p\leq 20[/tex] so you can scratch those values - which means you will never actually get [tex]\eta>1[/tex].

Thanks!

Related to Finding Elasticity in Demand: Solving for p in the Demand Equation

What is the definition of "Derivatives with Elasticity"?

Derivatives with elasticity refer to the mathematical concept of calculating the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable, while taking into account the responsiveness or sensitivity of the first variable to changes in the second variable.

What is the difference between "elastic" and "inelastic" derivatives?

Elastic derivatives are those with a high degree of responsiveness and sensitivity to changes in the other variable. Inelastic derivatives, on the other hand, have a low degree of responsiveness and sensitivity.

How is the elasticity coefficient calculated for derivatives?

The elasticity coefficient is calculated by taking the percentage change in the first variable and dividing it by the percentage change in the second variable. This ratio represents the degree of responsiveness of the first variable to changes in the second variable.

What is the practical application of "Derivatives with Elasticity" in real-world scenarios?

Derivatives with elasticity are commonly used in economics, finance, and business to analyze the relationship between two variables and make predictions about how changes in one variable will affect the other. They are also used in product pricing, market analysis, and consumer behavior studies.

What are the limitations of using elasticity in derivatives?

One limitation of using elasticity in derivatives is that it assumes a linear relationship between the two variables, which may not always be the case. Additionally, elasticity calculations may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios due to external factors and other variables that can affect the relationship between the two variables.