Finding eigenvectors of 3x3 matrix

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the eigenvector of a 3x3 matrix using the characteristic equation and solving linear equations. The main issue was identified as excessive rounding off, which can cause inconsistencies in the solution. It was advised to be careful with precision and proper notation in mathematical computations.
euphoria172
Hi,

I have an issue with zeroing the 3x3 matrix to find the eigenvector.

I have found the characteristic equation for the 3 eigenvalues.

the matrix is

1 1/2 1/3
1/2 1/3 1/4
1/3 1/4 1/5

The equation i got is -A^3 + (23/15)A^2 - (127/720)A + (1/2160) which correspond to A = 0.1223, 0.0027 & 1.41.

I have tried row swapping, division and multiplication but cannot get the correct eigenvector.

Please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get?

ehild

euphoria172 said:
Hi,

I have an issue with zeroing the 3x3 matrix to find the eigenvector.

I have found the characteristic equation for the 3 eigenvalues.

the matrix is

1 1/2 1/3
1/2 1/3 1/4
1/3 1/4 1/5

The equation i got is -A^3 + (23/15)A^2 - (127/720)A + (1/2160) which correspond to A = 0.1223, 0.0027 & 1.41.

I have tried row swapping, division and multiplication but cannot get the correct eigenvector.

Please help. Thank you.

No: the characteristic polynomial of A is ##x^3 - (23/15) x^2 + (127/720) x -(1/1260)## (although you wrote its negative, which is also true---but the usual definition of characteristic polynomial is that its coefficient is +1 on the highest power). You need to distinguish between ##x## (or ##\lambda##) and ##A##; if fact, the defintion of the characteristic polynomial is
[tex] \text{char. polynomial} \;\; P(x) \equiv \det(xI - A)[/tex]

And of course, A is a matrix so your statement that A = 0.1223, 0.0027 and 1.41 makes no sense; it would make sense to say that the eigenvalues of A are 1.408318927, .268734034e-2, and 0.1223270659.

I realize that your 'errors' are just errors of expression, but it is a good idea to express yourself properly, because doing what you did on an exam is a surefire way to lose marks. Anyway, math is about precision, at least in part.

As to your main question: you do not show your work, so I cannot be sure, but I suspect your inability to get eigenvectors is due to excessive roundoff before solving the linear equations. If I use your eigenvalues ##\lambda## exactly as you wrote them and then ask Maple to solve the system ##(\lambda I - A)x = 0## it chokes; it reports all three linear systems as being inconsistent. However, if I increase the accuracy to 10 digits and use the values I wrote above, Maple gets three solutions.

The fact is that linear algebra computations are notoriously sensitive to roundoff errors and to numerical instability, so need to be done carefully and to more presicision than you may think. If you do not have access to Maple or Mathematica, you can use a speadsheet to deal with the problem; for example, EXCEL has a Solver tool you can use.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
No: the characteristic polynomial of A is ##x^3 - (23/15) x^2 + (127/720) x -(1/1260)## (although you wrote its negative, which is also true---but the usual definition of characteristic polynomial is that its coefficient is +1 on the highest power). You need to distinguish between ##x## (or ##\lambda##) and ##A##; if fact, the defintion of the characteristic polynomial is
[tex] \text{char. polynomial} \;\; P(x) \equiv \det(xI - A)[/tex]

And of course, A is a matrix so your statement that A = 0.1223, 0.0027 and 1.41 makes no sense; it would make sense to say that the eigenvalues of A are 1.408318927, .268734034e-2, and 0.1223270659.

I realize that your 'errors' are just errors of expression, but it is a good idea to express yourself properly, because doing what you did on an exam is a surefire way to lose marks. Anyway, math is about precision, at least in part.

As to your main question: you do not show your work, so I cannot be sure, but I suspect your inability to get eigenvectors is due to excessive roundoff before solving the linear equations. If I use your eigenvalues ##\lambda## exactly as you wrote them and then ask Maple to solve the system ##(\lambda I - A)x = 0## it chokes; it reports all three linear systems as being inconsistent. However, if I increase the accuracy to 10 digits and use the values I wrote above, Maple gets three solutions.

The fact is that linear algebra computations are notoriously sensitive to roundoff errors and to numerical instability, so need to be done carefully and to more presicision than you may think. If you do not have access to Maple or Mathematica, you can use a speadsheet to deal with the problem; for example, EXCEL has a Solver tool you can use.

Thanks, it really was the rounding off issue. I am solving it by hand without programs. I will be careful with the precision and notations. Thanks for the advice.

Related to Finding eigenvectors of 3x3 matrix

1. What are eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that represent the direction in which a linear transformation acts by simply scaling the vector. They are used to understand the behavior of a transformation on a given vector space.

2. Why is it important to find eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix?

Finding eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix is important because it helps in understanding the behavior of the matrix, such as its stretching or shrinking effect on different directions. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations and in understanding the stability of dynamic systems.

3. How do you find eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix?

To find the eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix, you first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, you need to solve a system of equations to find the corresponding eigenvector. This can be done using various methods such as Gaussian elimination, diagonalization, or using computational software.

4. Can a 3x3 matrix have more than 3 eigenvectors?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have more than 3 eigenvectors. The maximum number of eigenvectors a 3x3 matrix can have is 3, but it can have fewer if some of the eigenvalues are repeated.

5. What is the significance of the eigenvectors' direction in a 3x3 matrix?

The eigenvectors' direction in a 3x3 matrix represents the directions in which the matrix has a stretching or shrinking effect. They can also determine the behavior of the matrix in terms of stability, convergence, and divergence in dynamic systems. Additionally, the eigenvectors can be used to find the diagonalization of a matrix, which simplifies calculations and makes it easier to solve systems of equations.