Finding eigenvector from eigenvalue

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a given matrix. The equations for finding the eigenvectors were derived and an example was given for one of the eigenvalues.
DWill

Homework Statement

For the matrix A =

-1, 5
-2, -3

I found the eigenvalues to be -2 + 3i and -2 - 3i.
Now I need some help to find the eigenvectors corresponding to each.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For r = -2 + 3i, I plugged that into the (A - Ir) matrix, which I found to be

1-3i, 5
-2, -1-3i

I multiply that matrix with the vector (x y) and set it equal to (0 0) right? If I do that I get the following 2 equations:

(1-3i)x + 5y = 0
-2x - (-1-3i)y = 0

Did I make a mistake somewhere, or how should I go on to find the eigenvector? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me so far, I haven't checked the actual numbers but the principles are fine.

Edit:Checked the numbers and they look fine too.

I prefer just to use the basic definition of "eigenvalue". If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is and eigenvalue of A then there exist a non-zero vector v such that [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex] and, of course, v is an eigenvector.

Here, for [itex]\lambda= -2+ 3}[/itex] that is
[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 5 \\ -2 & -3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}(-2+i\sqrt{3})x \\ (-2+3i)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which reduces to two equations:
[itex]-x+ 5y= (-2+ 3i)x[/itex] and [itex]-2x- 3y= (-2+ 3i)y[/itex] both of which reduce to 5y= (-1+ 3i)x. Taking x= 5, y= -1+ 3i satisfies that and gives (5, -1+ 3i) as an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -2+ 3i. A similar calculation gives an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -2- 3i.

Related to Finding eigenvector from eigenvalue

What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the amount by which a particular vector is stretched or compressed by a linear transformation. It is often used in linear algebra to find characteristic vectors of a matrix.

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a non-zero vector that remains in the same direction after a linear transformation. It is associated with a specific eigenvalue and represents the axis along which the transformation has its maximum effect.

How do you find an eigenvector from an eigenvalue?

To find an eigenvector from an eigenvalue, you need to solve the equation (A-λI)v=0, where A is the matrix in question, λ is the eigenvalue, and v is the eigenvector. This can be done by finding the null space of the matrix (A-λI).

What is the importance of finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues is important because they provide valuable information about the behavior of a linear transformation or a matrix. They can be used to understand the fundamental properties of a system or to simplify complex calculations.

Can there be more than one eigenvector for a given eigenvalue?

Yes, there can be multiple eigenvectors associated with a single eigenvalue. This is because a scalar multiple of an eigenvector is also an eigenvector with the same eigenvalue.