Finding eigenvalues to use in Cayley-Hamilton theorem problem

In summary, the Cayley-Hamilton theorem can be used to compute C^3 by first finding the characteristic equation of the given matrix C and then using the formula C^3=PD^3P^{-1}, where P is the matrix formed from linearly independent eigenvectors of C and D is the diagonal matrix formed from the eigenvalues of C. However, if the characteristic equation cannot be easily factorized, there may be other methods to find the eigenvalues.
phosgene

Homework Statement

Let C =

2,0,-2
-1,-1,-1

Use the Cayley-Hamilton theorem to compute C^3.

Homework Equations

Cayley-Hamilton theorem says that every square matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation.

[itex]C^3=PD^3P^{-1}[/itex]

where P is the matrix formed from linearly independant eigenvectors of C and D is the diagonal matrix formed from the eigenvalues of C.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the characteristic equation of C is

[itex]\lambda^3 - 2\lambda^2 - \lambda - 2 = 0 [/itex]

I get stuck because I can't factorise this and get the eigenvalues to proceed. Is there some trick to factorising cubics like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Attached

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 400
Thanks, I was just going back over the lecture notes and realized that I was absurdly confused in that section (I'm embarassed I even asked this question!)...anyway, I get it now, thanks for that :)

Related to Finding eigenvalues to use in Cayley-Hamilton theorem problem

What is the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem states that every square matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation. This means that if A is a square matrix and p(x) is the characteristic polynomial of A, then p(A) = 0.

How do you find eigenvalues?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you need to first find the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. This can be done by taking the determinant of the matrix and subtracting the scalar λ from the diagonal entries. Once you have the characteristic polynomial, you can solve for the values of λ that make the polynomial equal to 0. These values are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

Why are eigenvalues important in the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem uses eigenvalues to prove that every square matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation. This is important because it allows us to simplify complex matrix equations and make calculations easier.

How can I use the Cayley-Hamilton theorem to solve problems?

The Cayley-Hamilton theorem can be used to solve problems involving square matrices, such as finding the inverse of a matrix or solving systems of linear equations. By using the theorem, you can simplify these problems and make them easier to solve.

Are there any limitations to the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

While the Cayley-Hamilton theorem is a useful tool in solving problems involving square matrices, it does have some limitations. For example, it only applies to square matrices, and it may not work for all types of matrices. It is important to carefully consider the specific problem you are trying to solve before applying the theorem.