Finding Eigenvalues of Matrix A: Wrong Answer, What Am I Doing Wrong?

In summary, to find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you need to first compute the determinant of the matrix and then solve for the roots of the characteristic polynomial. The characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation used to find the eigenvalues by subtracting the variable lambda from the main diagonal of the matrix and computing the determinant. Common mistakes when finding eigenvalues include incorrect computation of the determinant, mistakes in solving the characteristic polynomial, and errors in using the chosen method. There are various methods that can be used, such as using the characteristic polynomial, diagonalization, and Gaussian elimination, but the best method will depend on the specific characteristics of the matrix and desired level of accuracy.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have a matrix A and I am looking for it's eigenvalues. No matter what I do, I find that the eigenvalues are 0, 1 and (k+1), while the answer of both the book and Maple is 0 and (k+2). I tried two different technical approaches, both led to the same place.

The matrix is:

\[A=\begin{pmatrix} 1 &1 &k \\ 1 &1 &k \\ 1 &1 &k \end{pmatrix}\]

I have stated with calculating

\[\lambda I-A\]

which is

\[A=\begin{pmatrix} \lambda -1 &-1 &-k \\ -1 &\lambda -1 &-k \\ -1 &-1 &\lambda -k \end{pmatrix}\]

Now I calculate the determinant of this matrix. Whatever I do, I get the wrong answer. Can you please assist ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Yankel,

I believe you actually want to find $\text{det }(A-\lambda I)=0$ in order to calculate the eigenvalues. What do you get when you try that?

Is your determinant \(\displaystyle \lambda ^3 - \lambda ^2(k + 2)\)?

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Yankel said:
Hello all,

I have a matrix A and I am looking for it's eigenvalues. No matter what I do, I find that the eigenvalues are 0, 1 and (k+1), while the answer of both the book and Maple is 0 and (k+2). I tried two different technical approaches, both led to the same place.

The matrix is:

\[A=\begin{pmatrix} 1 &1 &k \\ 1 &1 &k \\ 1 &1 &k \end{pmatrix}\]

I have stated with calculating

\[\lambda I-A\]

which is

\[A=\begin{pmatrix} \lambda -1 &-1 &-k \\ -1 &\lambda -1 &-k \\ -1 &-1 &\lambda -k \end{pmatrix}\]

Now I calculate the determinant of this matrix. Whatever I do, I get the wrong answer. Can you please assist ?

Thank you.
Check your calculations again! You should find that $\det(\lambda I - A) = \begin{vmatrix} \lambda -1 &-1 &-k \\ -1 &\lambda -1 &-k \\ -1 &-1 &\lambda -k \end{vmatrix} = \lambda^2(\lambda-k-2).$

Last edited:

Related to Finding Eigenvalues of Matrix A: Wrong Answer, What Am I Doing Wrong?

1. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you need to first compute the determinant of the matrix. Then, solve for the roots of the characteristic polynomial using a method such as factoring or the quadratic formula. These roots are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

2. What is the characteristic polynomial?

The characteristic polynomial of a matrix is a polynomial equation that is used to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. It is formed by subtracting the variable lambda from the main diagonal of the matrix and then computing the determinant of the resulting matrix.

3. Why am I getting the wrong answer when finding eigenvalues of a matrix?

There could be several reasons for getting the wrong answer when finding eigenvalues of a matrix. These could include incorrect computation of the determinant, mistakes in solving the characteristic polynomial, or errors in using the chosen method to find the roots.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding eigenvalues of a matrix?

Some common mistakes when finding eigenvalues of a matrix include forgetting to subtract lambda from the main diagonal of the matrix, incorrectly computing the determinant, and forgetting to consider the multiplicity of eigenvalues when solving the characteristic polynomial.

5. Can I use any method to find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to find the eigenvalues of a matrix, such as using the characteristic polynomial, diagonalization, and Gaussian elimination. However, the method chosen will depend on the specific characteristics of the matrix and the desired level of accuracy.