Finding distance traveled by rebound when measured for surface

In summary: After that, using basic algebra, you can solve for the height.You use trigonometry to find the angle of the second bounce. You also use the angle to find the distance traveled.
Ithilrandir

Homework Statement

Ball falling from 1m above a slanted surface 5 degrees from horizontal. KE conserved
Find distance traveled along slanted surface on its second rebound

Homework Equations

S=(1/2)(at^2)
(V^2)=(u^2)-2as

The Attempt at a Solution

V before hitting =sqrt(2*9.81)
=4.42
4.42/9.81=0.4515
0.4515*2=0.9030
0.9030*4.42*cos(85 degrees)
=0.0355
0.0355/cos(85)=3.98

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Itilrandir, :welcome:

I can follow you up to ##v=4.42## m/s (always include units). Could you explain what you are doing after that ? And make a sketch of the situation and post it ?

I do notice there is no question in your post ?

(all in the spirit of PF culture, you mostly don't get a yes/no answer and we don't do the exercise for you. But we help where we can !)

Sorry for not being very clear with myself.
The question basically asks for us to find distance between the first and second impact on a infinitely long slanted surface tilted at 5 degrees.
Pic attached is what I attempted to do and get the final ans of around 4(3.98)

Attachments

• 14949391353831487867635.jpg
    14949391353831487867635.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 346
BvU said:
Could you explain what you are doing after that ?
I do understand the question.

Let me guess (this is NOT PF culture -- instead, you should explain, as I asked :rolleyes: ) :
You use ##v = v_0 - gt = 0 \Rightarrow t = {v_0\over g} ## to find the time to reach the highest point after the bounce, 0.903 m.

However, ##\vec v_0## is not in the same direction as ##g## is acting, so you lose me at that point.
Furthermore, I also don't understand (understatement) the 85 degrees in the next line...

In your sketch I see 1 m above the surface as a constant -- which it may well be. Can you prove that it is a constant ?

It was just a random guess/ attempt at solving it cos the question was timed when i was doing it.:sorry: I was hoping that someone has a better explanation for the question.

After the first bounce, ##v=v_0=4.42## m/s, I agree.
Can only be if it is at 10##^\circ## wrt the vertical (##E=\vec p^2/(2m)## is conserved).

So you have ##v_x = v_0\cos(80^\circ),\ v_y = v_0\sin(80^\circ),\ ## for a parabolic trajectory.
That intersects the surface ##y = y_0 - x\sin 5^\circ## at the second bounce point.
Set up the equations and solve the quadratic equation.

Do you have the correct answer? I want to double check after doing it. No time right now.

BvU said:
After the first bounce, ##v=v_0=4.42## m/s, I agree.
Can only be if it is at 10##^\circ## wrt the vertical (##E=\vec p^2/(2m)## is conserved).

So you have ##v_x = v_0\cos(80^\circ),\ v_y = v_0\sin(80^\circ),\ ## for a parabolic trajectory.
That intersects the surface ##y = y_0 - x\sin 5^\circ## at the second bounce point.
Set up the equations and solve the quadratic equation.
sin 5°?

haruspex said:
sin 5°?
Ithilrandir said:
a slanted surface 5 degrees from horizontal
Ithilrandir said:
Do you have the correct answer? I want to double check after doing it. No time right now.
PF culture is YOU do the work, WE try to help :smile: . If that necessitates working it all out, then I am always willing to do the work. Not in this case.

BvU said:
Ithilrandir said:
a slanted surface 5 degrees from horizontal.
I was querying the trig function, not the angle.

With good reason o:) . Should have been ##\tan## ! Thanks!
upload_2017-5-17_11-24-21.png

Now we both wait for Itil to have some time to work it out ...

I got the answer its apparent 0.68something meters

Ithilrandir said:
I got the answer its apparent 0.68something meters
Show please, how did you get that result.

Likes BvU
Sorry I was busy.
The method to solve it is to resolve the components of gravity and velocity and turn it into a projectile motion

Related to Finding distance traveled by rebound when measured for surface

1. How is the distance traveled by rebound measured for a surface?

The distance traveled by rebound is measured by calculating the difference between the initial position of the object and the final position after it has rebounded off the surface. This distance is then divided by the time it took for the object to rebound, giving the distance traveled per unit time.

2. What factors can affect the distance traveled by rebound?

The distance traveled by rebound can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it rebounds off the surface, the surface material and texture, and the force of gravity acting on the object.

3. How can we accurately measure the distance traveled by rebound on different surfaces?

To accurately measure the distance traveled by rebound on different surfaces, it is important to use a consistent method and equipment for measurement. This could include using a ruler or measuring tape to mark the initial and final positions of the object, and using a timer or stopwatch to record the time of rebound.

4. Can the distance traveled by rebound be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the distance traveled by rebound. The force of air resistance can slow down the object and decrease the distance traveled. It is important to conduct experiments in a controlled environment with minimal air resistance to accurately measure the rebound distance.

5. How can the distance traveled by rebound be used in real-world applications?

The distance traveled by rebound can be useful in various real-world applications such as sports, engineering, and physics. In sports, it can be used to measure the power and precision of a kick or throw. In engineering, it can be used to calculate the force of impact on different surfaces. In physics, it can be used to analyze the laws of motion and energy conservation.