Finding Density of a Floating Block

In summary, to find the density of the block, we need to use the equation d = m/v and find the mass by using the volume of what is submerged. The total weight of the block must equal the weight of water displaced, and the proportion of the block below the surface depends on its density compared to that of water.
superjen
A uniform block of height 0.260 m, floats in water of density 1000 kg/m3. The bottom of the block is 0.2530 m below the surface of the water. What is the density of the block?

fb = mg
m=(pf)(v)
d = m/v

What i did was find the mass, using the volume of what is submerged, then when i found d using equation 3, i used the v of the whole block.
I know I am mixing something up here, but I am not sure what it is..

Physics news on Phys.org
The total weight of the block must equal the weight of water displaced.
If the block was the same density as water all of it would be under the surface, if it was half the density of water half of it would be below the surface.
What proportion is below the surface?

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. To find the density of the block, you will need to use the formula d = m/v, where d is density, m is mass, and v is volume.

To find the mass of the block, you correctly used the equation m = (pf)(v), where p is the density of water and f is the fraction of the block that is submerged. In this case, the block is fully submerged, so f = 1. You also correctly used the volume of the submerged portion of the block.

However, to find the density of the block, you will need to use the total volume of the block, not just the submerged portion. This is because density is a measure of mass per unit volume, and we want to find the density of the entire block, not just the part that is submerged.

So, to find the density of the block, you can use the equation d = m/v, where m is the mass you calculated using the volume of the submerged portion, and v is the total volume of the block. This will give you the density of the block in units of kg/m^3, which is the same unit as the water density given in the problem.

I hope this helps clarify the confusion. Keep up the good work!

Related to Finding Density of a Floating Block

1. What is the purpose of finding the density of a floating block?

The purpose of finding the density of a floating block is to determine its mass per unit volume, which can provide valuable information about the material and its properties.

2. What materials are needed to find the density of a floating block?

To find the density of a floating block, you will need the block itself, a container of water, a scale, and a measuring instrument such as a ruler or caliper.

3. How do you calculate the density of a floating block?

The density of a floating block can be calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. The mass can be measured using a scale, and the volume can be calculated by measuring the dimensions of the block and using the formula for its shape (e.g. for a rectangular block, volume = length x width x height).

4. How does the density of a floating block affect its buoyancy?

The density of a floating block is directly related to its buoyancy. If the block is less dense than the liquid it is placed in, it will float. If the block is more dense, it will sink. This is because the block displaces a volume of liquid equal to its own volume, and if the block is less dense, the weight of the displaced liquid is greater than the weight of the block, causing it to float.

5. How can the density of a floating block be used in real-world applications?

The density of a floating block can be used in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, and engineering. It can help determine the suitability of materials for specific purposes, the stability of structures, and the efficiency of transportation methods such as ships and barges.