Finding Critical Points in Fractional Functions

In summary: The end points are 1 and 6. Since the function is continuous on the closed interval and differentiable on the open interval ( 1,6 ), the maximum and minimum value must occur at a critical point in the open interval ( 1,6 ) or at an end point.a) To solve for critical points, set f'(x) = 0 and solve for x. In this case, you have 3 sqrt(x^2 + 3) = x. Square both sides to get 9(x^2 + 3) = x^2. Simplify to get 8x^2 - 27 = 0. Solve for x to get x = ±3/2.
asz304

Homework Statement

a)f(x) = sqrt(3 + x^2) - 3 x, text( ) text( ) [4, 6] [Find the max. and min. values]
b)y = (3 - x)/(x^2 + 9 x), [2, 7]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I know how to get the max. and min. value, but before knowing them I need to know how to get the critical points from f(x). The derivative of f(x) is 2x/(sqrt(2+x^2) - 3. I don't know how to get critical points when dealing with fractions.b) I know the derivative of y, then again I don't know how to get critical points when dealing with fractions.
EDIT: In y = x^2 – 6x – 4, [-4, 0], why is the minimum -4 and not -13?
-13 is from the critical point 3, -4 is from the interval 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
asz304 said:

Homework Statement

a)f(x) = sqrt(3 + x^2) - 3 x, text( ) text( ) [4, 6] [Find the max. and min. values]
b)y = (3 - x)/(x^2 + 9 x), [2, 7]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I know how to get the max. and min. value, but before knowing them I need to know how to get the critical points from f(x). The derivative of f(x) is 2x/(sqrt(2+x^2) - 3.
Check your math. You have two errors in your derivative.

Why do you have text() text() in your problem statement?

For critical points, set f'(x) = 0, and solve that equation.

Since you have a restricted domain, be sure to check both endpoints, because it's possible that a max or min value occurs at either endpoint.
asz304 said:
I don't know how to get critical points when dealing with fractions.

b) I know the derivative of y, then again I don't know how to get critical points when dealing with fractions.

EDIT: In y = x^2 – 6x – 4, [-4, 0], why is the minimum -4 and not -13?
-13 is from the critical point 3, -4 is from the interval 0.

So in a) it's x/(sqrt(3+x^2)), the critical point is 0?
b)From y = (3 - x)/(x^2 + 9 x) on [ 3 ; 10 ]the derivative is (x^2 -6x -27)/ (x^2+9x)^2, so it's critical points are -9,3, and 0? So, f(-9) = infinity, f(3) = 0, f(0) = infinity. Then with f(10) = -7 / 190. The computer ( webassign.net ) told me that minimum is -1/27 and not -7/190...but I got 0 as the maximum which is right.From my edit part in my previous post : In y = x^2 -6x - 5 [-1,0] , the derivative has a critical point of 3 and f(3) = -13 , f(-1) = 2, f(0) = -5, when I had my answers plugged in on webassign.net I had the wrong answers if I said -13 is the minimum and 2 is the maximum then I checked the right answer it gave me -5 as the minimum and 2 as the maximum... why is -5 the minimum?Question: If I have an open interval or an interval that isn't restricted, should I never check if they have maximum or minimum values? Thanks

Last edited:
asz304 said:
So in a) it's x/(sqrt(3+x^2)), the critical point is 0?
No and no.
f'(x) = x/sqrt(3 + x2) - 3
0 is not a critical point.
asz304 said:
b)From y = (3 - x)/(x^2 + 9 x) on [ 3 ; 10 ]the derivative is (x^2 -6x -27)/ (x^2+9x)^2, so it's critical points are -9,3, and 0?
Your derivative is correct on this one. The function is not defined at x = 0 and x = -9, so those aren't critical points. Factor the numerator to find the two critical points. The max and min will occur either at the two critical points or at the endpoints of the interval.
asz304 said:
So, f(-9) = infinity, f(3) = 0, f(0) = infinity. Then with f(10) = -7 / 190. The computer ( webassign.net ) told me that minimum is -1/27 and not -7/190...but I got 0 as the maximum which is right.

From my edit part in my previous post : In y = x^2 -6x - 5 [-1,0] , the derivative has a critical point of 3 and f(3) = -13 , f(-1) = 2, f(0) = -5, when I had my answers plugged in on webassign.net I had the wrong answers if I said -13 is the minimum and 2 is the maximum then I checked the right answer it gave me -5 as the minimum and 2 as the maximum... why is -5 the minimum?
f'(x) = 0 when x = 3, but 3 is not in the interval [-1, 0]. BTW, f(3) = 32 - 6(3) - 5 = 9 - 23 = -14, not -13 as you have.

Since there is no critical number in the given interval, any maximum or minimum must occur at an endpoint of the domain.

f(-1) = (-1)2 - 6(-1) - 5 = 2
f(0) = 02 - 6(0) - 5 = -5

asz304 said:
Question: If I have an open interval or an interval that isn't restricted, should I never check if they have maximum or minimum values? Thanks
If I understand what you're asking, if the function is defined on an open interval or the entire number line, then there aren't any endpoints to the interval, so obviously you don't need to check endpoints (there aren't any).

The derivative of a) sqrt(3 + x^2) - 3 x is x/sqrt(3 + x2) - 3, I used chain rule and 2 is canceled on both denominator and numerator. So when setting f'(x) = 0, I end up having 3 sqrt( x^2 + 3) = x, how should I continue?

b) A similar and simpler example to b) is f(x) = (1 - x) / ( x^2 + 3x), it's derivative has a numerator of( x^2 - 2x -3), the factor is x = -3 and x = 1 and the closed interval is [1,6] since x = -3 is not on the closed interval the only critical point on the closed interval is 1 ( Thanks to your reply I now understand the difference of close and open intervals ). So when I was getting the maximum and minimum values, I used f(1) = 0, f(6) = -5/54, but for some reason when I checked the right answer in the computer for the minimum value it gave -1/9 and said my input " - 5 / 54 " is wrong...Did I do something wrong again?

asz304 said:
The derivative of a) sqrt(3 + x^2) - 3 x is x/sqrt(3 + x2) - 3, I used chain rule and 2 is canceled on both denominator and numerator. So when setting f'(x) = 0, I end up having 3 sqrt( x^2 + 3) = x, how should I continue?
Square both sides. Haven't you ever solved equations with radicals in them before?
asz304 said:
b) A similar and simpler example to b) is f(x) = (1 - x) / ( x^2 + 3x), it's derivative has a numerator of( x^2 - 2x -3), the factor is x = -3 and x = 1
The numerator is x2 -2x - 3, as you said, but this factors into (x - 3)(x + 1). What values of x make the numerator zero? They are NOT x = -3 and x = 1.
asz304 said:
and the closed interval is [1,6] since x = -3 is not on the closed interval the only critical point on the closed interval is 1 ( Thanks to your reply I now understand the difference of close and open intervals ). So when I was getting the maximum and minimum values, I used f(1) = 0, f(6) = -5/54, but for some reason when I checked the right answer in the computer for the minimum value it gave -1/9 and said my input " - 5 / 54 " is wrong...Did I do something wrong again?

For this function, the minimum value occurs at a critical point, not an endpoint.

Mark44 said:
. Haven't you ever solved equations with radicals in them before?

Thanks, I did do radicals, but I'm having a rough day...cramming for my midterm in Chemistry.
Anyway, thanks again.

Related to Finding Critical Points in Fractional Functions

1. What is a critical point?

A critical point is a point on a graph of a function where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. It is also known as a stationary point because the function does not increase or decrease at that point.

2. How do you find critical points?

To find critical points, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to determine the x-values of the critical points. You can also use the second derivative test to confirm if the critical point is a minimum, maximum, or neither.

3. Why are critical points important?

Critical points are important because they can help us find the minimum and maximum values of a function. This information is useful in optimization problems and can also give us insight into the behavior of a function.

4. Can a critical point be a maximum and a minimum at the same time?

No, a critical point cannot be a maximum and a minimum at the same time. However, it is possible for a function to have multiple critical points that are all maximum or all minimum values.

5. Are all critical points visible on a graph?

No, not all critical points are visible on a graph. Some critical points may be located where the function is undefined or has a vertical tangent line, making them difficult to see on a graph. It is important to use algebraic methods to find all critical points.