Finding cos in radians without calculator? Help?

In summary, the conversation discusses techniques for finding the value of cos(pi/5) without a calculator, specifically using geometry and formulas such as the double angle formula and the half-angle formula. It is also mentioned that not all values of cosines can be found explicitly using elementary operations and roots. Additionally, the conversation touches upon the topic of when values of cosines can be expressed using radicals, and it is noted that the nth root of unity can always be expressed using radicals due to its abelian Galois group.
mathFun
Hey guys this question is going to sound pretty dumb, but I never learned how to do this. What if I want to find say, cos(pi/5) but I don't have a calculator? Even if I did have a calculator, I want it in nice values, like square roots, rather than decimals anyway.

If I have something like cos(pi/8) I think I know how to find something like that using double angle formula cos(2x)=2cos2x-1, because I know the value of cos(4pi) and cos(2pi), but when I have an odd value I'm stuck at what to do.

Is there any simple algorithmic process I can use? Someone mentioned to me about finding complex roots, but I'm not sure how that works?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This wiki article might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_trigonometric_constants
It shows how to find things like [itex]\cos(\pi/5)[/itex] using geometry.

Note that it is not always possible to find explicit value of cosines. For exampe, the innocent looking [itex]\cos(\pi/9)[/itex] cannot be explicitely found using elementary operations and roots (unless I'm being stupid right now).

Well, pi/5 lies between pi/4 and pi/6, doesn't it?
The midpoint between these to latter values is 5pi/24 which is slightly greater than pi/5

calculating the relevant values of sine and cosine for 5pi/24, you may find the midpoint between 5pi/24 and pi/6, which is 9pi/48, somewhat less than pi/5
(And then, the midpoint between 5pi/24 and 9pi/48 is 19pi/96, very close to, but slightly less than pi/5)

And so on.

Utilizing this bisection method and the half-angle formula, you can eke yourself towards the answer.

micromass said:
the innocent looking [itex]\cos(\pi/9)[/itex] cannot be explicitly found using elementary operations and roots
You could use cos(3θ) = 4cos3(θ) - 3cos(θ). Writing [itex]θ=\pi/9[/itex] gives you a cubic to solve.

haruspex said:
You could use cos(3θ) = 4cos3(θ) - 3cos(θ). Writing [itex]θ=\pi/9[/itex] gives you a cubic to solve.

Right. Thank you. I was thinking of the fact that the 9-gon wasn't constructible, but it is of course wrong to deduce from that that it can't be written with roots. It is clear that [itex]\cos(\pi/n)[/itex] is always algebraic, but when can it be written using radicals?? Since the Galois group of the n-th root of unity is abelian, it can always be expressed using radicals. Nice.

Related to Finding cos in radians without calculator? Help?

What is the formula for finding cos in radians?

The formula for finding cos in radians is cos(x) = cos(x) = 1 - (x^2/2!) + (x^4/4!) - (x^6/6!) + ...

How can I find the value of cos in radians without using a calculator?

To find the value of cos in radians without a calculator, you can use the Taylor Series expansion for cos(x) and manually calculate the value using the formula. This may be time-consuming, but it is an accurate method.

What is the value of cos(0) in radians?

The value of cos(0) in radians is 1.

Can I use a calculator to find cos in radians?

Yes, most calculators have a cosine function that allows you to find the value of cos in radians. However, it is always helpful to know the manual method in case you do not have access to a calculator.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding cos in radians without a calculator?

There are some tricks and approximations that can be used to find cos in radians without a calculator, such as memorizing the values of common angles like 0, 30, 45, 60, and 90 degrees. However, these may not always be accurate and it is best to use the Taylor Series method for precise calculations.