Finding coordinates in 3 dimensions.

In summary, at t = 0 minutes, the submarines coordinates are <4,0,0> and <0,5,0>. At 4 minutes, its coordinates are <9,9,-1> and <18,-3,-1>. At 20 minutes, its coordinates are <2,3,-1/3>, <18, -6, -1>, or <9,9,-1>.
nhartung

Homework Statement

Consider a Cartesian coordinate system, with units measured in 1000 feet, and with the z = 0 coordinate plane lying on the ocean surface. Two ships A and B, moving at speed 250 feet/min, are located at (4,0,0) and (0,5,0), moving North (-x direction) and West (-y direction) and detect a submarine in the directions <2, 3, -1/3> and <18, -6, -1>, respectively at t = 0 minutes. Four minutes later the detected directions by A and B are <9,9,-1> and <18,-3,-1> respectively. The ships guide an intercept of the submarine. What coordinates should be given the attacking aircraft that is due at t = 20 if the submarine is assumed to move along a straight line and constant speed?

Homework Equations

All vector operations? Addition, multiplication.
Possibly length of vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I'm not sure if i completely understand this problem especially when it says "detect a submarine in the directions <2,3,-1/3>" does this mean that the submarine is that many units away from ship A? If this is the meaning then that would mean the at t = 0 the submarine is at <6, 3, -1/3> However, I don't think this is the case because when I use the same reasoning to find the position of the submarine in relation to ship B I get <18, -1, -1> which doesn't make any sense. I don't think this problem is very difficult I just need to figure out the [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] of the submarine and calculate where it will be at t = 20. I just aren't sure how to go about finding its velocity vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
nhartung said:
Ok I'm not sure if i completely understand this problem especially when it says "detect a submarine in the directions <2,3,-1/3>" does this mean that the submarine is that many units away from ship A?

No, it means that the vector from ship A to the submarine is parallel to [itex](2,3,-\frac{1}{3})[/itex]...Can you think of an equation that represents this statement?

gabbagabbahey said:
No, it means that the vector from ship A to the submarine is parallel to [itex](2,3,-\frac{1}{3})[/itex]...Can you think of an equation that represents this statement?

Ok I think I understand what that sentence means now. So I'm thinking one way I could solve this would be to find the intersection of the 2 vectors starting at the ships current location. This intersection is the position of the submarine at t = 0. Then find the next intersection at t = 4, find the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector between the 2 intersections and scale it by 5 to get my answer. Does this sound like an appropriate way to go about solving this?

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me...what do you get when you do this?

Ok now I'm confused again. I'm trying to find the point of intersection for each of the vectors so for the first one I set up the parametric equations like this:

x = 4 + 2t
y = 3t
z = -(1/3)t

x = 18s
y = 5 - 6s
z = -s

I solve for s and t and get s = 1/3 and t = 1. I plug these into x, y and z and come up with the point (6,3,-1/3). But now when I do this same procedure to the second set:

x = 3 + 9t
y = 9t
z = -t

x = 18s
y = 4 - 3s
z = -s

I get s = t = 1/3 which again gives me the same point (6,3,-1/3).

So either I'm doing something wrong or the submarine is not moving.

Last edited:
You've done nothing wrong :approve:. The submarine is in the exact same spot at both times. So given the assumption that it can only be moving along a straight line at constant speed, it must be stationary, making it an easy target :smile:.

Ok thanks a lot! :D

Related to Finding coordinates in 3 dimensions.

1. What is the meaning of coordinates in 3 dimensions?

Coordinates in 3 dimensions refer to a set of three numbers that can uniquely identify the position of a point in 3D space. These numbers represent the distance of the point from three perpendicular reference lines, known as the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis.

2. How do you find coordinates in 3 dimensions?

To find coordinates in 3 dimensions, you need to first determine the reference point or origin and the reference lines (x, y, z axes). Then, measure the distance of the point from each axis and record the values as the coordinates (x, y, z). This can be done using tools like a ruler or a coordinate grid.

3. What is the difference between Cartesian and polar coordinates in 3 dimensions?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, use three perpendicular axes (x, y, z) to locate a point in 3D space. Polar coordinates, on the other hand, use a different system where a point is located by its distance from the origin and its angle from a reference line. Both systems can be used to locate points in 3D space, but they have different formulas and representations.

4. Can you use coordinates in 3 dimensions to locate objects on a curved surface?

Yes, coordinates in 3 dimensions can be used to locate objects on a curved surface. However, in this case, the reference lines and origin may be different from the traditional x, y, z axes. The coordinates can still be determined by measuring the distance from the reference lines and recording the values.

5. What are some practical applications of using coordinates in 3 dimensions?

Coordinates in 3 dimensions have many practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, geography, and 3D modeling. They are used to locate objects in 3D space, determine the distance between points, and calculate angles and dimensions. They are also essential in navigation, mapping, and creating 3D models of objects and environments.