Finding Constants given certain constraints.

In summary, the conversation was about finding a value for a in order for the line y = x^2 - 2sqrt(x) + 1 to be perpendicular to the line ay + 2x = 2 when x = 4. The conversation involved finding the slope of the normal line, which was determined to be -2/15, and using it to find an expression for the slope of the line y = (-2/a)x + 2/a. The person was having difficulty understanding how to find the value of a and planned to continue working on it before a test.
Econometricia
1.Find a such that y=x2 - 2(x)1/2 + 1 is perpendicular to ay + 2x =2 when x=4

3.I have gotten as far as getting the slope of the normal line. I then rearranged the equation to y = (-2x+2)/ (a) and That is where I am stuck

I am having a lot of trouble with these types of questions. =(

Physics news on Phys.org
Econometricia said:
1.Find a such that y=x2 - 2(x)1/2 + 1 is perpendicular to ay + 2x =2 when x=4

3.I have gotten as far as getting the slope of the normal line. I then rearranged the equation to y = (-2x+2)/ (a) and That is where I am stuck

I am having a lot of trouble with these types of questions. =(
Does that mean you have found the slope of the line? What normal line are you talking about? You need the derivative of the curve. That's not what you were talking about, is it?

The slope of the normal line as in the inverse slope of the tangent line at x=4. So y' |x=4 = 15/2 = mtan , so Mnormal= -2/15

OK, so you know the slope of the line ay + 2x = 2 has to be -2/15 when x = 4. It looks like you've already done all the hard work; the rest is easy.

I know the slope has to be(-2/15) and that y= -2x/a + 2/a What to do from here is really just not clicking.

Econometricia said:
I know the slope has to be(-2/15) and that y= -2x/a + 2/a What to do from here is really just not clicking.

Given this line -- y= -2x/a + 2/a -- what is an expression that represents its slope?

I am sorry. I just can't figure out how to get the a. Just one of those nights. =P I guess I will try and figure out in the morning before the test =). Thank You for your help Mark.

I wasn't asking for a, just an expression that represents the slope of the line y = (-2/a)x + 2/a.

Related to Finding Constants given certain constraints.

1. What is the process for finding constants given certain constraints?

The process for finding constants involves first identifying the constraints or limitations of the system or problem. Then, using mathematical equations or principles, the constants can be determined by solving for them or using experimental data to determine their values.

2. How do you determine the appropriate constraints for a problem?

The appropriate constraints for a problem can be determined by understanding the physical or theoretical limitations of the system. This can involve considering factors such as time, space, energy, and other relevant variables.

3. What are some common techniques for finding constants given certain constraints?

Some common techniques for finding constants include using mathematical equations, performing experiments or simulations, and analyzing data to determine the relationships between the variables and the constants.

4. Can the values of constants change under different constraints?

Yes, the values of constants can change under different constraints. This is because the constraints can affect the relationships between the variables and the constants, leading to different values for the constants.

5. How do you handle uncertainties or errors when finding constants?

When finding constants, it is important to account for uncertainties or errors in the data or measurements. This can be done by using statistical methods to analyze the data and determine the most accurate values for the constants.