Finding Conditions for Quadratic Equation Roots to be Outside the Unit Circle

In summary, the roots of a quadratic equation lie outside the unit circle if the square root of the modulus of the roots is greater than one.
Lutzee

Homework Statement

How to find the conditions on the coefficients of a quadratic equation for the roots to be outside the unit circle eg bx^2 + x - 1 = 0 where b is a constant How do we find the condition(s) that b must satisfy such that the roots of the quadratic lie outside the unit circle (ie modulus greater than one)

Homework Equations

bx^2 + x - 1 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Solve quadratic eqn with the quadratic formulae

We get to -1+/- * sqrt(1+4a) < -2a

This gradually leads to a contradiction.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the question about all quadratic equations or only ones of the form bx^2+x-1=0?

If the latter, then I think you made a typo or something with your inequality -1+/- * sqrt(1+4a) < -2a. It should have b in it. Saying the modulus of the roots are greater than 1 means
[tex]\left\vert \frac{-1\pm \sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}\right\vert >1[/tex]
Is it a given that b is a real number?
Try to avoid multiplying both sides of an inequality by a variable for that variable might be non-positive. You can multiply both sides by |2b| because that's always positive.

Last edited:
Thanks phoenixthoth. Yes it was a typo and yes it was the latter and yes b is real number. But how do i proceed from here? It still seems to yield a contradiction. Thanks

Lutzee said:
Thanks phoenixthoth. Yes it was a typo and yes it was the latter and yes b is real number. But how do i proceed from here? It still seems to yield a contradiction. Thanks
The inequality [tex]\left\vert \frac{-1\pm \sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}\right\vert >1[/tex] can be solved and the solution is, I think, an interval.

To solve it, find the intersection of the solutions to these two:
[tex]\left\vert \frac{-1+\sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}\right\vert >1[/tex]
[tex]\left\vert \frac{-1-\sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}\right\vert >1[/tex].
These two can be re-written without absolute values:
[tex]\frac{-1+\sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}>1[/tex] or [tex]\frac{-1+\sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}<-1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-1-\sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}>1[/tex] or [tex]\frac{-1-\sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}<-1[/tex].

To solve these, check out http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/inequalities/ineq06/ineq06.html especially where it says "Step 1" in bold a bit down from the top. Solve each "or" inequality separately and then your final answer is the intersection of the solution sets for the two.

If you tell me what you get for the final answer, I can say "yes that's what I got" or "no that's not what I got."

Last edited:
Thanks phoenixthoth.

Labelling the 4 cases you have identified as set out by you
a) b)

c) d)

i get the following solutions to each:

a) b < 0
b) b > 2, b >0 which implies b > 2
OR: b < 2, b < 0 which implies b < 0
c) b > 0
d) 0 < b < 2

which doesn't give me any sections of the real line common to all 4 cases. What am I doing wrong?

Hmm...maybe the absolute values can't be removed that way...I'll think about it.

Well, part of the problem is that you're assuming the roots are real.

Hi Hurkyl. I am not assuming the roots are real. Thanks

Lutzee said:
Hi Hurkyl. I am not assuming the roots are real. Thanks
If you write something like
[tex]\frac{-1+\sqrt{1+4b}}{2b}>1[/tex]
then you are assuming the roots are real

bx2 + x - 1 = 0; hence, the roots are
x = (-1 +/- sqrt(1+4b))/(2b).

The surd is zero for b=-1/4, so the roots will be complex for b < -1/4 and real
for b > -1/4. For b = -1/4, x = 2, so this value of b is in the allowed range.
Consider the real and complex cases separately.

Complex roots:
-------------
Write b = -1/4 - y2, (where y > 0). and show that

|x|2 = 4/(1+4y2).

This is > 1 for 0 =< y < sqrt(3)/2, so b must be > -1.

Real roots:
----------
Write b = -1/4 + y2 and show that the roots are

2/(1-2y) and 2/(1+2y). The second of these becomes 1 for y=1/2,
i.e. b = 0. The first of these is > 1 for 0 =< y <1/2. Hence,
b must be < 0. The interval of b for which neither of the roots lies
within the unit circle is -1 < b < 0. (if my arithmetic is OK!)

Related to Finding Conditions for Quadratic Equation Roots to be Outside the Unit Circle

1. What is the unit circle and why is it relevant to quadratic equations?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin on a Cartesian plane. It is relevant to quadratic equations because it helps determine the values of the roots of a quadratic equation, which can be located either inside or outside the unit circle.

2. How can I determine if the roots of a quadratic equation are outside the unit circle?

To determine if the roots of a quadratic equation are outside the unit circle, you can use the quadratic formula. If the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is greater than 1, then the roots will be located outside the unit circle.

3. What are the conditions for quadratic equation roots to be outside the unit circle?

The conditions for quadratic equation roots to be outside the unit circle are when the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is greater than 1. This means that the equation has two distinct real roots that are located outside the unit circle.

4. Why is it important to find conditions for quadratic equation roots to be outside the unit circle?

It is important to find these conditions because it helps determine the behavior of a quadratic equation. If the roots are outside the unit circle, the equation will have two distinct real roots, and if the roots are inside the unit circle, the equation will have complex roots.

5. Can the roots of a quadratic equation be located both inside and outside the unit circle?

Yes, the roots of a quadratic equation can be located both inside and outside the unit circle. This means that the equation will have one real root and one complex root. The conditions for this to occur are when the discriminant is equal to 1.