Finding Coefficients for Simple Partial Fraction Formula | Mathematica Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for finding coefficients and the desire to have the coefficients in a specific form. It is suggested to use a change of variables to achieve the desired form.
divB
Hi,

I found the following formula:

[tex]
\prod_{m=1}^{N_d} \frac{1}{(1-e^{\alpha_{(m)}}z^{-1})^{n_{(m)}}} = \sum_{m=1}^{N_d} \sum_{n=1}^{n_{(m)}} \frac{c_{m,n} }{(1-e^{\alpha_{(m)}}z^{-1})^{n_{(m)}}}
[/tex]

What I want is finding the coefficients [tex]c_{m,n}[/tex]. This looks like a simple partial fraction method.

In fact I am able to find the coefficients in the following form:

[tex]\dots = \sum_{m=1}^{N_d} \sum_{n=1}^{n_{(m)}} \frac{c_{m,n} }{(z-e^{\alpha_{(m)}})^{n_{(m)}}}[/tex]

using the standard partial fraction method. This is also what I get using Apart in Mathematica.

But I need the coefficients for the form described above: Only the denominator should contain [tex]z^{-1}[/tex] and nothing more.

Can anybody tell me how to get this form? Is it possible at all? (it should be because this formula is used in a paper...)

Is there any Mathematica command which produces the desired form?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
divB

Physics news on Phys.org
use a change of variables for the exponential and the 1/z, you would be back in the standard form again. Find the partial fractional form and replace the variables.

Oh, I am so stupid ... sure, this works!

Thank you very much!

Related to Finding Coefficients for Simple Partial Fraction Formula | Mathematica Help

1. What is a simple partial fraction?

A simple partial fraction is a fraction that has a polynomial in the numerator and a binomial in the denominator. It can also be defined as a fraction in which the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

2. What is the purpose of finding simple partial fractions?

The purpose of finding simple partial fractions is to simplify a complex fraction into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make integration and other mathematical operations easier and more efficient.

3. How do I find the simple partial fractions of a given fraction?

To find the simple partial fractions, you can use the method of partial fraction decomposition. This involves breaking down the fraction into smaller fractions with simpler denominators, and then solving for the unknown coefficients using algebraic equations.

4. Can any fraction be expressed as simple partial fractions?

Yes, any rational function (a fraction in which the numerator and denominator are polynomials) can be expressed as simple partial fractions. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra.

5. Are there any real-world applications of simple partial fractions?

Simple partial fractions have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are commonly used in differential equations, circuit analysis, and optimization problems. They can also be used to approximate complex functions and make them easier to work with.