Finding coefficients for reducibility (Abstract Algebra)

In summary, we find that the real numbers k such that x^2+kx+k is reducible in ℝ[x] are 0 and 4. The roots of the polynomial, determined by the value of b^2-4ac, must be real in order for the polynomial to be reducible.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find all real numbers k such that x^2+kx+k is reducible in ℝ[x].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like it is simple, but it is new to me so I am looking for confirmation.

We know we can find the roots of a polynomial with b^2-4ab. We want b^2-4ab to be greater than 0 for it to have roots.

But we note:

Here, a = 1, b = b, c = b.

When we have b^2-4*b = 0 we get the answers either b = 0 or b = 4.
Both of these are solutions to the problem question.

If we let b(b-4) > 0 then we get a whole array of numbers that are not solutions to this problem.

So I am stating that b =0 and b = 4 are the only solutions to the problem as they are the only solutions to b^2-4ab = 0. But why is this so?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Find all real numbers k such that x^2+kx+k is reducible in ℝ[x].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like it is simple, but it is new to me so I am looking for confirmation.

We know we can find the roots of a polynomial with b^2-4ab. We want b^2-4ab to be greater than 0 for it to have roots.
Greater or equal 0. Only negative solutions will lead to negative square roots.
But we note:

Here, a = 1, b = b, c = b.

When we have b^2-4*b = 0 we get the answers either b = 0 or b = 4.
Both of these are solutions to the problem question.
Right.
If we let b(b-4) > 0 then we get a whole array of numbers that are not solutions to this problem.
Why? What happens if b=6? (I assume b=k.)
So I am stating that b =0 and b = 4 are the only solutions to the problem as they are the only solutions to b^2-4ab = 0. But why is this so?
See previous comment. Plus: what happens if b=2?

Likes RJLiberator
Fresh_42, If we have b = 6
then we have:
x^2+6x+6

This is not reducible under the real numbers, am I right?

No. You can see it if you draw the function, it crosses the x-axis twice which means it is 0 at these points. What would be the solutions? What has ##b^2-4ab## to do with the roots?

Likes RJLiberator
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^2+6x+6https://www5b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP3831i8h4fi8e87f9e4e00000i8261g2b6d6gh03?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=47

Is the solution then.

Okay, so you convinced me that since b^2-4ac >= 0 then for all b that satisfy this we have reducibility. (I should have known this, it's been a longe week)

That seems to answer the original thread question.

With that being stated, there is something more here:
What has b^2-4ac have to do with the roots?

That is the interesting question.
Definition of reducible is if we let f(x) exist in R(x) then f(x) is reducible if there exists g(x) and h(x) in R(x) such that f(x) = g(x)*h(x) and deg(g(x)) < deg(f(x)), deg(h(x)) < deg(f(x))

And so, there clearly exists a g(x) and h(x) by the b^2-4ac relation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two roots of ##ax^2+bx+c=0## are ##\frac{-b±\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}##.
So ##b^2-4ac=0## determines exactly one (double counted) root, ##b^2-4ac<0## gives complex roots and ##b^2-4ac>0## gives two real roots. Here we have ##b^2-4ac=k^2-4k=k(k-4)≥0## which is true if both factors are positive or both factors are negative.

I agree, mate.

And by the definition of reducibility, we see that the roots existing means that the function is reducible for those roots.

Thank you kindly for your help on this problem.

Likes fresh_42

Related to Finding coefficients for reducibility (Abstract Algebra)

What is the importance of finding coefficients for reducibility in Abstract Algebra?

Finding coefficients for reducibility is important because it helps us determine whether a polynomial can be factored into simpler polynomials. This can provide insights into the structure and properties of the polynomial, as well as make computations and solving equations easier.

How do you find coefficients for reducibility in Abstract Algebra?

To find coefficients for reducibility, we use the Euclidean algorithm or the extended Euclidean algorithm. These algorithms involve dividing the polynomial by another polynomial and using the remainder to determine the coefficients.

What does it mean if the coefficients for reducibility are not integers?

If the coefficients for reducibility are not integers, it means that the polynomial cannot be factored into simpler polynomials with integer coefficients. This could indicate that the polynomial is irreducible over the integers, or that it requires a more complex factorization method.

Can a polynomial be reducible over one field but not another?

Yes, a polynomial can be reducible over one field but not another. For example, a polynomial may be reducible over the real numbers but not over the integers. This is because different fields have different properties and allow for different operations, which can affect the reducibility of a polynomial.

What are the applications of finding coefficients for reducibility in Abstract Algebra?

Finding coefficients for reducibility has various applications in Abstract Algebra, including solving equations, factoring polynomials, and studying the structure and properties of different algebraic systems. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and cryptography.