Finding coefficient of friction

In summary, a 3 kg block slides down a 30 degree inclined plane with constant acceleration of 0.5 m/s2. The block starts from rest at the top. The length of the incline is 2 m.
462chevelle
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 3 kg block slides down a 30 degree inclined plane with constant acceleration of 0.5 m/s2. The block starts from rest at the top. The length of the incline is 2 m.

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2 +2ad velocity is 1.414
Fg=3 x 9.8=29.4
Fn= cos(30) (9.8 x 3) = 25.5
f//=sin (30) (9.8 x 3) =14.7
f=ma = 4.242=3 x 1.414
Ff= F//-f = 10.458=14.7-4.242
Ff=mu x (Fg) = 10.458= mu x 29.4 = .356

The Attempt at a Solution

this is incorrect. I feel like I am missing a simple step. I just can't figure out where I am messing up. any direction here? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having a hard time following your equations.
These are correct and applicable:
Fg=3 x 9.8=29.4

Ff = u X Normal Force = u(Fn)

Set up an equation relating Ff, F//, m, and a and then solve for u

462chevelle said:

Homework Statement

A 3 kg block slides down a 30 degree inclined plane with constant acceleration of 0.5 m/s2. The block starts from rest at the top. The length of the incline is 2 m.

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2 +2ad velocity is 1.414
Fg=3 x 9.8=29.4
f=ma = 4.242=3 x 1.414
Ff= F//-f = 10.458=14.7-4.242

The Attempt at a Solution

this is incorrect. I feel like I am missing a simple step. I just can't figure out where I am messing up. any direction here? thanks
Hello 462chevelle. Welcome to PF !

From what you have given it's difficult to know what it is that you are trying find out.

Please state the complete problem, word for word as it was given to you.

mass = 3
acceleration = .5 m/s
velocity = 1.414
Fg = 29.4
Fn = 25.5
F// = 14.7
Ff= 10.458
and what I got for mu
10.458 = mu x 29.4
solve it and get .356 which is the wrong answer.
and the question I posted is the question. the only thing not stated is that I am trying to find the coefficient of friction.
Sammy s . thanks. most of the time when I am having trouble with a physics problem. if I google it. it always pops this forum up for good explanations.

Ff = mu X Fn
mu is what you are trying to find. You cannot find mu until you find the net force on the mass.
You must use net force = ma to find mu
I would like to give you the complete solution but this is prohibited.

oh. I though it was Ff = mu x Fg so if I need the Fn that's 25.5.
so I have 10.458 = mu x 25.5 I get .41 but that is still wrong. am I doing anything wrong that's obvious or skipping a step?

Not quite. You are given the mass and acceleration. What is the net force on the mass? The net force is the component of the weight down the incline minus the friction force. Have you drawn a diagram of this situation? A diagram often helps.

would that be the F// minus the force of friction. so that is 4.242, and yes I have drawn out a diagram. that helps a lot in understanding what's going on

I think yes. The net force is F// - Ff. Where did you get 4.242?
You can get the net force from the given mass and acceleration.

maybe my force of friction is incorrect. cause if you do f = ma you get 1.5 = 3 x .5

so I could take 1.5 from 14.7 and get 13.2 as force of friction

F// - Ff = ma

You said that F// = 14.7 and that ma = 3 X .5
what is Ff?

Ff = (mu)Fn
and you said that Fn = 25.5

so I could take 1.5 from 14.7 and get 13.2 as force of friction . YES

now, use Ff = (mu) X Fn to get mui

that would be .51 but that is incorrect to. on my lunch break I am going to get a new page and start over to see if I am just writing something down wrong or skipping something

Check your precision. .51 might be slightly off.

Likes 1 person
FINALLY its .52. when should I decide which to round to when I am doing an equation like this?

I appreciate the help

When you do the calculations, keep the numbers in your calculator if you can to have the highest precision possible. In this problem, since the mass was 3 kg one might think that only one digit of precision is necessary but obviously this is not the case. So, keep as many digits of precision as you can. I assume you are entering this answer into Quest or some other online program, yes? These programs have a small tolerance on the answers but I guess .51 is not close enough.

yes its thinkquest. I've found that out that sometimes I have to redo the problem a few times rounding to different decimals to get it right.

Related to Finding coefficient of friction

What is coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the force required to move one surface over another. It is a dimensionless number and is typically denoted by the symbol "μ".

How is coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting an experiment called a friction test. This involves measuring the force required to move one surface over another at different angles and then calculating the coefficient of friction using a specific formula.

What factors affect coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by a variety of factors such as the material of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the temperature.

Why is coefficient of friction important?

Coefficient of friction is an important concept in physics and engineering as it helps us understand the forces involved in motion and how they can be minimized or maximized. It is also crucial in designing and improving machines and devices that involve sliding or rolling surfaces.

How can coefficient of friction be reduced?

Coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, polishing or smoothing the surfaces, and altering the materials in contact. Additionally, reducing the force or pressure between the surfaces can also decrease the coefficient of friction.