Finding Bounds of Integration for Integral of Cos(2+x)

In summary: In summary, the conversation discusses expressing a sum as an integral, specifically the integral of cos(2+x) with respect to x. The question arises on what the bounds of integration should be, with the knowledge that b-a must equal 1. It is determined that the interval used is 0 to 1, and the limit of the sum as n approaches infinity is the integral of cos(2+x) with bounds of 0 and 1. The suggestion to use math symbols on the forum is also mentioned.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jJQzZXoxXFqEB.png

Homework Equations

(b-a)/n = Δx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to express the sum as an integral .. almost. It is the integral of cos(2+x) with respect to x. However, what are my bounds of integration? I know that b-a must equal 1, but I don't think I can pick any arbitrary b and a that are just one counting number apart, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(b-a)/n = Δx

I know how to express the sum as an integral .. almost. It is the integral of cos(2+x) with respect to x. However, what are my bounds of integration? I know that b-a must equal 1, but I don't think I can pick any arbitrary b and a that are just one number apart, right?

Write down the ##x_i## in this problem for ##i=1..n##. That will give you an idea of what interval is being used.

Likes 1 person
Qube said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(b-a)/n = Δx

I know how to express the sum as an integral .. almost. It is the integral of cos(2+x) with respect to x. However, what are my bounds of integration? I know that b-a must equal 1, but I don't think I can pick any arbitrary b and a that are just one number apart, right?

Of course, you can't. You are identifying i/n with x. What are the limits of i/n as i goes from 1 to n? Now what happens if you take the limit?

LCKurtz said:
Write down the ##x_i## in this problem for ##i=1..n##. That will give you an idea of what interval is being used.

I'm going from 1/n to 1.

Dick said:
Of course, you can't. You are identifying i/n with x. What are the limits of i/n as i goes from 1 to n? Now what happens if you take the limit?

It seems as if when I take the limit as n approaches infinity 1/n becomes 0. The limit of a constant is the constant, so it appears my interval is 0 to 1.

So the limit of that sum as ##n\to \infty## is ...?

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
So the limit of that sum as ##n\to \infty## is ...?

The integral of cos(2 + x) with respect to x and with bounds as 0 and 1.

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding Bounds of Integration for Integral of Cos(2+x)

What is the definition of "Limits of Integration"?

Limits of Integration refer to the boundaries or endpoints of the interval over which a definite integral is being evaluated.

What is the purpose of having limits of integration in integration problems?

Limits of Integration help specify the range of values that are being integrated, allowing us to calculate the exact value of the integral within that range.

How do you determine the limits of integration in a given problem?

The limits of integration are typically determined by examining the given function and identifying the boundaries of the interval over which the function is being integrated.

Can the limits of integration change in the middle of an integration problem?

Yes, the limits of integration can change in the middle of an integration problem, particularly when using the method of substitution. In this case, the new limits of integration must be adjusted to match the new variable of integration.

What happens if the limits of integration are not specified in an integration problem?

If the limits of integration are not specified, the integral will be considered indefinite and will result in a function rather than a numerical value.