Finding Bijection Proof: X to p(X)

• Thread starter bedi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bijection
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the existence of a bijection g from a set X to itself, where g takes subsets of X as arguments and satisfies the property that f(A) = g(A) for all subsets A of X. The proof involves defining g(x) as the unique element satisfying {g(x)} = f{x} and showing that g(A) = union of f(a) for all elements a in A.
bedi

Homework Statement

Let X be a set. Suppose that f is a bijection from p(X) to p(X) such that [itex]f(A)\subseteq f(B)[/itex] iff [itex]A\subseteq B[/itex] for all subsets A,B of X.
Show that there is a bijection g from X to X such that for all [itex] A\subseteq X [/itex] one has f(A)=g(A).

Homework Equations

p(X) is the power set of X.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems too elementary and I doubt that there is something to prove. Can't I just take f=g?

Physics news on Phys.org
bedi said:

Homework Statement

Let X be a set. Suppose that f is a bijection from p(X) to p(X) such that [itex]f(A)\subseteq f(B)[/itex] iff [itex]A\subseteq B[/itex] for all subsets A,B of X.
Show that there is a bijection g from X to X such that for all [itex] A\subseteq X [/itex] one has f(A)=g(A).

Homework Equations

p(X) is the power set of X.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems too elementary and I doubt that there is something to prove. Can't I just take f=g?

But f is a function from P(X) to P(X). And g is a function from X to X. So taking f=g makes no sense. The arguments of f should be subsets of X. The arguments of g should be elements of X.

I can't believe I didn't see it:D thanks

Define g(x) as the unique element satisfying {g(x)}=f{x}.show that g(A)=U{g(a)}=Uf{a}=
f(A)

Related to Finding Bijection Proof: X to p(X)

1. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a function between two sets that is both one-to-one and onto. This means that each element in the first set is paired with a unique element in the second set, and every element in the second set is paired with an element in the first set.

2. How do you prove that a function is a bijection?

To prove that a function is a bijection, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. To show injectivity, you must demonstrate that each element in the first set maps to a unique element in the second set. To show surjectivity, you must demonstrate that every element in the second set has a corresponding element in the first set.

3. Why is it important to prove that a function is a bijection?

Proving that a function is a bijection is important because it guarantees that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets. This means that the two sets have the same cardinality, or number of elements, and can be thought of as equal in size.

4. Can a function be a bijection if the two sets have different cardinalities?

No, a function cannot be a bijection if the two sets have different cardinalities. This is because a bijection requires a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets, which is only possible if the sets have the same number of elements.

5. How can you use bijection proofs in real-world applications?

Bijection proofs can be used in real-world applications to show that two sets are equivalent in size or that there is a one-to-one relationship between them. This can be useful in fields such as computer science, where bijections can be used to optimize data structures and algorithms.