Finding atomic magnetic moments

In summary, to calculate the atomic magnetic moment of Ni in Bohr magneton, we can use the formula μ = (m/V) / (N/V) x M, where m is the mass of the atom, V is the volume of the atom, N is the number of dipoles per unit volume, and M is the magnetization. To find the mass of the atom, we divide the atomic weight by Avogadro's number, and to find the number of dipoles per unit volume, we divide the number of atoms by the volume. Then, we simply plug in these values into the formula to get the atomic magnetic moment in Bohr magneton.
Bark

Homework Statement

Calculate atomic magnetic moment of Ni in Bohr magneton.

Given that atomic weight is 58.69, density is 8.91 g/cm^3

Atoms/moments are fully aligned in the field direction and have magnetization of 4.84 x 10^5 A/m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have in my notes, if all moments M = Nm, where N = number of dipoles per unit volume, so m = M/N

N is where I m not sure about. If I were finding the mass, I would go 58.69 / 6.02x10^23, then divide density by the mass. From there I would just sub in and find m.

But I m getting a very large number, how do I get from this number to Bohr magneton?

Physics news on Phys.org

To calculate the atomic magnetic moment of Ni in Bohr magneton, we can use the following formula:

μ = (m/V) / (N/V) x M

where μ is the magnetic moment, m is the mass of the atom, V is the volume of the atom, N is the number of dipoles per unit volume, and M is the magnetization.

To find the mass of the atom, we can use the atomic weight given (58.69) and divide it by Avogadro's number (6.02x10^23) to get the mass per atom. Then, we can use the density given (8.91 g/cm^3) to calculate the volume of the atom. Once we have the mass and volume, we can find the number of dipoles per unit volume by dividing the number of atoms by the volume.

Then, we can simply plug in these values into the formula to calculate the atomic magnetic moment in Bohr magneton. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Finding atomic magnetic moments

1. What is an atomic magnetic moment?

An atomic magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by an atom's electrons. It is caused by the spinning and orbital motion of the electrons, and it can affect the behavior of atoms in a magnetic field.

2. How do scientists find atomic magnetic moments?

Scientists use various techniques such as electron spin resonance, nuclear magnetic resonance, and magnetic susceptibility measurements to determine the atomic magnetic moments of different elements and compounds.

3. Why is it important to find atomic magnetic moments?

Knowing the atomic magnetic moments of different materials can help scientists understand their physical and chemical properties, such as their magnetic behavior, conductivity, and reactivity. This information is crucial in fields like materials science, chemistry, and physics.

4. What factors can affect the atomic magnetic moment?

The atomic magnetic moment can be influenced by factors such as the number and arrangement of electrons in an atom, the strength of the external magnetic field, and the temperature. Changes in these factors can alter the strength and direction of the magnetic moment.

5. Can atomic magnetic moments be manipulated?

Yes, scientists can manipulate atomic magnetic moments using techniques such as applying external magnetic fields, changing the temperature, or altering the electron arrangement in the atom. This manipulation can have practical applications in technologies like magnetic storage devices and medical imaging.