Finding Asymptotes for a Hyperbola in Standard Form

• Thread starter nameVoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, the conversation is about finding the standard form of a hyperbola and the equations of the asymptotes. The suggestion is to make a 45 degree rotation of the x and y axes by defining new variables u and v. This will lead to finding the solution. The OP is asked to try and work it out on their own with the hint given.
nameVoid
Sketching the graph of xz=4
Z=4/x
Now this is not in the form of a hyperbola however it is indeed a hyperbola
I get this by taking x to 0 and infinity
My question is how to put it in the standard form of a hyperbola to find the equations of the aysmptope

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your standard form of a hyperbola?

Did you study a lot of linear algebra? Do you know how to change the basis?

You should make a 45 degree rotation of your x and y axes. In other words, define:

$$u=\frac{x+z}{\sqrt{2}}$$
$$v=\frac{x-z}{\sqrt{2}}$$

And see where that takes you.

Matterwave said:
You should make a 45 degree rotation of your x and y axes. In other words, define:

$$u=\frac{x+z}{\sqrt{2}}$$
$$v=\frac{x-z}{\sqrt{2}}$$

And see where that takes you.

I would have preferred the OP to have found this on his own. Now he has no idea where those formulas came from.

Ah, that's my bad...I will be more discreet in the future.

I'm still waiting for the explanation

nameVoid said:
I'm still waiting for the explanation

Well, I've asked you questions which you seemed to ignore.

Second, Matterwave has given you a very large hint. Try to use the hint to work it out for yourself. We're certainly not going to spoonfeed you the answer.

@namevoid: It would be good to give a complete and exact statement of the problem. Your use of ##x## and ##z## suggests perhaps this is a surface in 3D. Or not?? Also is part of the problem to put it in standard form or do you want to do that just to find the equations of the asymptotes?

Related to Finding Asymptotes for a Hyperbola in Standard Form

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section, along with circles, ellipses, and parabolas. It is a curve that is formed when a plane intersects a double cone at an angle that is greater than the angle of the cone's sides.

2. How do I sketch a hyperbola?

To sketch a hyperbola, you will need to plot the center point and the vertices on a coordinate plane. Then, using the formula (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, you can plot additional points to create the curve. Make sure to label the axes and indicate the asymptotes.

3. What are the properties of a hyperbola?

A hyperbola has two branches, each of which is a mirror image of the other. The vertices are the points where the curve intersects the transverse axis. The foci are the points that lie on the transverse axis and are equidistant from the center. The asymptotes are the lines that the hyperbola approaches but never touches.

4. Can a hyperbola have a negative center point?

Yes, a hyperbola can have a negative center point. The center point is simply the point where the two branches of the hyperbola intersect. It does not affect the curve itself.

5. What are some real-life applications of hyperbolas?

Hyperbolas have various applications in science and engineering. They are used to model the orbits of comets and spacecraft, as well as the trajectories of projectiles. They are also used in radio and satellite communication to determine the location of the source of a signal. Additionally, hyperbolas are used in architecture and design to create aesthetically pleasing curves and arches.