Finding Area Under Parametric Curves: What Formula Should You Use?

In summary, the conversation discusses the area under a parametric curve and the different formulas that can be used to calculate it. The first formula involves changing the x-coordinate while the second formula involves changing the y-coordinate. The conversation also includes an example and clarification about which area is being traced.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I start read about area of parametric equation and got some problem understanding.
I got two question. here is a link

1. Does it mather if we say \(\displaystyle x=f(t)\) and \(\displaystyle y=g(t)\) on \(\displaystyle a \leq x \leq b\)
Does this both formula works?
\(\displaystyle \int_\alpha^\beta g(t)f'(t)dt\) and \(\displaystyle \int_\alpha^\beta g'(t)f(t)dt\)

2. Could someone give me an exemple on that "Area Under Parametric Curve, Formula II"\(\displaystyle \int_\beta^\alpha f(t)g(t)dt\)

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
I start read about area of parametric equation and got some problem understanding.
I got two question. here is a link

1. Does it mather if we say \(\displaystyle x=f(t)\) and \(\displaystyle y=g(t)\) on \(\displaystyle a \leq x \leq b\)
Does this both formula works?
\(\displaystyle \int_\alpha^\beta g(t)f'(t)dt\) and \(\displaystyle \int_\alpha^\beta g'(t)f(t)dt\)

You can do that, but you'll be tracing a different area.
In the first case you're tracing the curve by changing its x-coordinate and you'll get the area between the curve and the x-axis.
In the second case you're changing its y-coordinate and you'll get the area between the curve and the y-axis.

2. Could someone give me an exemple on that "Area Under Parametric Curve, Formula II"

\(\displaystyle \int_\beta^\alpha f(t)g(t)dt\)

Sure.
Pick the same example as in the article, but with $x=-6(\theta-\sin \theta)$.

The point is that the curve is supposed to be traced from the lowest x coordinate to the highest x coordinate.
If the definition of f(t) means it starts at the highest x coordinate and ends at the lowest x coordinate, you should swap the integral boundaries to compensate.

I like Serena said:
In the first case you're tracing the curve by changing its x-coordinate and you'll get the area between the curve and the x-axis.
In the second case you're changing its y-coordinate and you'll get the area between the curve and the y-axis.
Sure.
Pick the same example as in the article, but with $x=-6(\theta-\sin \theta)$.

The point is that the curve is supposed to be traced from the lowest x coordinate to the highest x coordinate.
If the definition of f(t) means it starts at the highest x coordinate and ends at the lowest x coordinate, you should swap the integral boundaries to compensate.
Hello I like Serena,
I am glad that I got a responed, thank you!
I got one question about
I like Serena said:
In the problem it never mention what area they want, I read also from my book and it use the one with \(\displaystyle \int_\alpha^\beta g(t)f'(t)dt\) but on example it never mention what area tracing or I am confused?

Regards,

Petrus said:
In the problem it never mention what area they want, I read also from my book and it use the one with \(\displaystyle \int_\alpha^\beta g(t)f'(t)dt\) but on example it never mention what area tracing or I am confused?

Paul writes:
We will do this in much the same way that we found the first derivative in the previous section. We will first recall how to find the area under F(x) on $a \le x \le b$.
$$A=\int_a^b F(x) dx$$​

This means he's finding the area between the x-axis and the curve F(x) that is probably assumed to be above the x-axis.
This area is further bounded by a vertical line on the left side and a vertical line on the right side.

Related to Finding Area Under Parametric Curves: What Formula Should You Use?

What is an area with parametric equation?

An area with parametric equation is a mathematical concept used to find the area of a shape or region that is defined by a set of parametric equations, which are equations that express the coordinates of points on a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters.

How do you find the area of a shape using parametric equations?

To find the area of a shape using parametric equations, you can use the formula A = ∫(y dx) or A = ∫(x dy), where x and y are the parametric equations that define the curve or surface. This involves integrating the parametric equations over a specified range to find the area enclosed by the curve or surface.

What types of shapes or regions can be measured using parametric equations?

Parametric equations can be used to measure the area of any shape or region that can be defined by a set of parametric equations. This includes curves, such as circles and ellipses, as well as more complex shapes, such as spirals and cardioids.

What is the benefit of using parametric equations to find area?

The benefit of using parametric equations to find area is that they can be used to measure the area of shapes or regions that cannot be easily measured using traditional methods, such as integration. They also provide a more precise and accurate measurement, especially for irregular or complex shapes.

Are there any limitations to using parametric equations for finding area?

One limitation of using parametric equations for finding area is that they can only be used for shapes or regions that can be defined by a set of parametric equations. They may also be more difficult to use for shapes with changing curvature or complex boundaries.