Finding Area of L using Stokes Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the circulation of F through a line L using Stokes Theorem. The individual is unsure of how to find the area of L, and is considering switching to polar coordinates. However, it is clarified that L is actually a circle and the plane goes through the origin, making it easier to find the boundaries.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey.
I need to find the circulation of F through out the line L.
I know I need to use stokes theorem, the problem is, how do I find the area of L?
I mean, I know the intersection line of the sphere and the plot looks like an ellipse on the XY surface, but how do I find the boundaries? should I switch to polar?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
asi123 said:
I need to find the circulation of F through out the line L.
I know I need to use stokes theorem, the problem is, how do I find the area of L?
I mean, I know the intersection line of the sphere and the plot looks like an ellipse on the XY surface, but how do I find the boundaries? should I switch to polar?

Hi asi123! :smile:

No, it's not an ellipse:

L is the intersection of x2 + y2 + z2 = 6 and 3x - 4y - z = 0,

which is the intersection of a sphere with a plane,

so it's a circle.

And the plane goes through the origin, which is also the centre of the sphere.

Does that help? :smile:

Related to Finding Area of L using Stokes Theorem

1. What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of the surface.

2. How is Stokes Theorem used to find the area of L?

Stokes Theorem allows us to find the area of a surface by calculating the line integral of a vector field along the boundary of the surface. This means that we can use Stokes Theorem to find the area of L by integrating a vector field along the curve that bounds L.

3. What is the difference between finding the area using Stokes Theorem and using traditional methods?

The traditional method of finding area involves breaking the surface into smaller, manageable pieces and adding up the areas of each piece. However, using Stokes Theorem allows us to find the area of a surface without needing to break it into smaller pieces, making the process more efficient and less time-consuming.

4. What are the prerequisites for using Stokes Theorem to find the area of L?

In order to use Stokes Theorem, one must have a good understanding of vector calculus and the concept of a vector field. It is also important to be familiar with line integrals and surface integrals.

5. Can Stokes Theorem be applied to any surface to find its area?

No, Stokes Theorem can only be applied to surfaces that can be described by a smooth curve. Surfaces with sharp edges or corners cannot be used with Stokes Theorem to find their area.