Finding Arc Length of y=x^{\frac{1}{2}}- \frac{1}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}+\lambda

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the arc length of a curve defined by y=x^(1/2)- (1/3)x^(3/2)+λ for 0≤x≤3 using the formula s=∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx. The mistake of squaring the derivative was pointed out, and the correct integral was given. It is suggested to complete the square to make the integral easier to solve.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
1.Homework Statement

[tex]y=x^{\frac}{1}{2}}- \frac{1}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}+\lambda[/tex]

For [itex]0 \leq x \leq 3[/itex]
Show that the arc length,s=[itex]2\sqrt{3}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]s=\int_{x_1} ^{x_2} \sqrt{1+ (\frac{dy}{dx})^2} dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} - \frac{1}{2}x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex] (\frac{dy}{dx})^2=\frac{1}{4x}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

[tex]s=\int_{0} ^{3} \sqrt{\frac{1}{4x}+\frac{x}{2}+\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

and now that integral seems a bit too odd to get the answer [itex]2\sqrt{3}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a tiny mistake when you squared the derivative, the coefficient of the linear term should be 1/4.

You integral, when corrected, then becomes

[tex]s= \int^3_0 \sqrt{ \frac{1}{4x} + \frac{x}{4} + \frac{1}{2} } dx[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{2} \int^3_0 2\sqrt{ \frac{1}{4x} + \frac{x}{4} + \frac{1}{2} } dx[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{2} \int^3_0 \sqrt{x + 2 + \frac{1}{x} } dx[/tex]

I think I've already given out too much =]. Now just ignore that the bottom limit of the integral is x=0, or be rigorous and take limits instead.

It might also be a good idea to think about completing the square ...

Pere Callahan said:
It might also be a good idea to think about completing the square ...
I was trying to do that but I kept on squaring it wrongly...even though I squared it out like 9 times...Seems I have to keep my eye out for those tiny mistakes...Thanks Gib Z & Pere Callahan!

Related to Finding Arc Length of y=x^{\frac{1}{2}}- \frac{1}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}+\lambda

1. How do you find the arc length of a curve represented by y=x^{\frac{1}{2}}- \frac{1}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}+\lambda?

To find the arc length of this curve, we can use the formula:
S = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt{1 + (y')^2} dx
where a and b are the x-values of the curve's endpoints and y' is the first derivative of y with respect to x. In this case, y' = \frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}} - \frac{1}{2}x^{\frac{1}{2}}. Substituting this into the formula, we can then integrate to find the arc length.

2. What is the significance of the \lambda in the equation for finding arc length?

The \lambda represents a constant that can be used to shift the curve vertically. This means that it does not affect the shape of the curve, only its position on the y-axis. Therefore, it does not affect the arc length calculation.

3. Can this formula be applied to any curve?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the arc length of curves that can be represented by the given equation. Other curves may require different formulas or methods to find their arc length.

4. What is the difference between arc length and curve length?

Arc length refers to the length of a specific portion of a curve, while curve length refers to the total length of the entire curve. In other words, arc length is a subset of curve length.

5. How can we use this formula to find the length of a specific portion of a curve?

We can use this formula by setting the limits of integration (a and b) to the x-values of the endpoints of the specific portion of the curve we want to find the length of. This will give us the arc length for that portion of the curve.