Finding Arc Length in Optimization Problem

In summary: Just remember that the length of AC is the length of the segment from A to the midpoint of the segment from B to C.sAC = \frac{B\cdot C}{2}Now, finally, do you know how to find the total time it takes to travel from A to B and then to C?t=sAB+sBCt=4.71+4.71=10.71
Fullmetalx

Homework Statement

Joe is traveling from point A across a circular lake to a cabin on the other side at point B. The straight line distance from A to B is 3 miles and is the diameter of the lake. He travels in a canoe on a straight line from A to C. She then takes the circular trail from C to B. She can travel along the circular trail at 4 mph and paddle in the canoe at 2mph.

There is also a picture provided. It is basically a circle with an scalene triangle inscribed in it. on leg is from A to B (diameter). Another leg is from A to C. And finally the last leg is C to B. Only angle provided is theta which is the angle from C to B.

a) Determine an expression in terms of theta for the length of arc CB.

b) Determine an expression in terms of theta for the length of segment AC.

c) Determine an expression in terms of theta for the total time traveling along AC and CB.

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically started by splitting the triangle into two triangles. I did this by making a line from the midpoint of the diameter to the point C. i know that arc length is basically circumference multiplied by theta/360 but I am having a difficult time understanding how to make an expression for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
An expression for the arc length from A to B (denoted sAB) would be

[tex]s_{AB} = \frac{C\cdot \theta}{360}[/tex]

Where [itex]\theta = 180[/itex] and [itex]C = 2\pi r[/itex] and [itex]r=1.5mi[/itex]

So

[tex]s_{AB} \approx 4.71mi[/tex]

Now just find the expression for the arc length BC (denoted sBC) and leave it in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex]

Fullmetalx said:
thanks for replying. it seems like not on of my classmates knows how to do this problem. I am not quite understanding how you are getting 4.71 miles.

here is a pic of what it looks like
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/446/photolwo.jpg

Fullmetalx, that link is broken, and the 4.71 miles is the arc length from A to B which is half way around the circle. It was just an example to help get you started with finding the arc length from B to C, which you need to denote in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex].

[tex]s_{AB} = \frac{1.5\cdot 2\pi\theta}{360}[/tex]

where in this case, [itex]\theta = 180[/itex] which I then simplified into [itex]s_{AB}=1.5\pi\approx 4.71[/itex] so sBC is the same formula, but for an variable value of [itex]\theta[/itex].

Now, do you know how to find the length of the segment AC? You must have a formula given to you in class, but it's also not too difficult to derive for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding Arc Length in Optimization Problem

1. What is "finding arc length" in an optimization problem?

Finding arc length in optimization problem refers to the process of determining the shortest distance along a curve that connects two points, while also taking into account any constraints or limitations. This is commonly used in mathematical modeling and engineering to optimize the path between two points.

2. Why is finding arc length important in optimization problems?

Finding arc length is important in optimization problems because it allows for the most efficient use of resources, such as time and energy. By minimizing the distance traveled along a curve, we can find the most optimal route or solution to a problem.

3. What are the steps involved in finding arc length in an optimization problem?

The steps involved in finding arc length in an optimization problem include identifying the curve or path that connects the two points, determining any constraints or limitations, setting up the appropriate mathematical model, and solving for the shortest distance using calculus techniques such as integration.

4. Are there any real-world applications of finding arc length in optimization problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding arc length in optimization problems. Some examples include determining the most efficient flight path for airplanes, finding the shortest route for delivery trucks, and optimizing the shape of a bridge to withstand the most force while using the least amount of materials.

5. Can finding arc length in optimization problems be applied to non-linear curves?

Yes, finding arc length can be applied to non-linear curves. However, the mathematical model and techniques used may vary depending on the specific curve and constraints involved. In some cases, it may require more complex integration methods to find the shortest distance along a non-linear curve.