Finding Angular Displacement in a Pirouette

In summary, the dancer completes 2.2 revolutions in a pirouette, which translates to an angular displacement of 14 radians. However, there is some confusion regarding whether the initial angular displacement should be considered or not, as the dancer passes through the initial position twice before completing 0.2 additional revolutions.
Spartan301
Hey, I have a very easy problem.

A dancer completes 2.2 revolutions in a pirouette. What is her angular displacement?

here's my work.
Given:
2.2 revolutions.

Battle Plan:
Find angular position in radians.
Subtract final position with the initial position.

Outcome:
2.2 x 2pi = 4.4 pi radians
=13.823
sig figs: 2
=14 rad

The key says 14 rads is correct, but I'm confused because I thought that you had to subtract the final position from the initial position.

If I did that to find the true angular displacement, wouldn't it be something like 0.4 rads?

Does my math look correct, or is there a concept I'm missing?

Thanks so much.
-Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial angular displacement is zero.

SammyS said:
The initial angular displacement is zero.

Certainly. But she passes 0 two times. After that she only rotates for about 0.2 revolutions, right? Wouldn't that be the angular displacement instead?

-Tom

Related to Finding Angular Displacement in a Pirouette

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object in a circular path. It is typically measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is angular displacement different from linear displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of change in position along a circular path, while linear displacement is a measure of change in position along a straight line.

3. How is angular displacement calculated?

Angular displacement is calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final angular position of an object. It can be calculated using the formula: θ = s/r, where θ is the angular displacement, s is the arc length along the circular path, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. What is the unit of measurement for angular displacement?

The most common unit of measurement for angular displacement is radians (rad). However, it can also be measured in degrees (°) or revolutions (rev).

5. How is angular displacement related to angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular displacement is the first derivative of angular velocity and the second derivative of angular acceleration. This means that angular displacement is the rate of change of angular velocity and the rate of change of angular acceleration.