Finding Angle Between Vectors Using Arc Length and Radius

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angle between two vectors given the arc length and radius. The suggested solution is to use the formula angle = S / R, but there is a concern about whether this formula is applicable for vectors on a circle. The original question is not stated clearly.
banfill_89

Homework Statement

quick question...im given the arc length ( 1m ) and the radius ( 1.5m )...to find the angle between the two vectors...do i just plug into angle=S/R?

Homework Equations

angle = S / R

The Attempt at a Solution

1/1.5= 0.67

Physics news on Phys.org
Angle between two vectors? If this is for an arc of a circle, then it is applicable. But if it is the angle between two vectors you should be using the dot product.

im assuming its for arc of a circle because I am not given any points what so ever...and i am given an arc length. thanks a lot man

Problem is, as I said earlier you can only use that formula on if you are certain that the vectors can be placed on some circle such that their lengths (magnitude) are the same. Otherwise it won't work. What is the original question?

Related to Finding Angle Between Vectors Using Arc Length and Radius

1. What is the definition of an angle in radians?

The angle in radians is a unit of measurement for angles, where one radian is equal to the central angle formed by an arc that is the same length as the radius of the circle.

2. How do you convert an angle from degrees to radians?

To convert an angle from degrees to radians, you can use the formula: radians = (degrees * pi) / 180, where pi is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 3.14159.

3. What is the advantage of using radians over degrees?

Radians are a more natural unit for measuring angles in mathematics and physics. Using radians simplifies many equations and calculations involving angles, making them easier to work with.

4. What is the relationship between degrees and radians?

There are 360 degrees in a full circle, and 2π (approximately 6.283) radians in a full circle. This means that 180 degrees is equal to π radians, and 90 degrees is equal to π/2 radians.

5. How do you visualize an angle in radians?

An angle in radians can be visualized as the length of the arc on a circle of radius 1, subtended by the angle. This arc length will be equal to the measure of the angle in radians. For example, an angle of π/2 radians would have an arc length of π/2 on a unit circle.