Finding an Interval for Derivative Bounds

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a differentiable function and its derivative. The solution involves using the definition of the derivative and the concept of limits to show that there exists an interval where the function is less than a given value. The conversation also includes a question about where to get the interval from, which is resolved by understanding the definition of limit.
Tomath

Homework Statement

Hi

I've been giving the following problem:
We have a differentiable function f: [a,b] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] with f'(a) < 0 en f'(b) > 0. Let c [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that f'(a) < c. Show that there exists a [itex]\delta[/itex] >0 such that for every x [itex]\in[/itex] ]a, a + [itex]\delta[/itex][ the following holds:

f(x) < f(a) + c(x-a).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is the following:
Using the definition of the derivative we have the following:

lim x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] a f(x) - f(a)/(x - a) < c so f(x) < f(a) + c(x-a).

My question is, where do I get the interval ]a, a + [itex]\delta[/itex][ from?

Physics news on Phys.org

Tomath said:

Homework Statement

Hi

I've been giving the following problem:
We have a differentiable function f: [a,b] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] with f'(a) < 0 en f'(b) > 0. Let c [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that f'(a) < c. Show that there exists a [itex]\delta[/itex] >0 such that for every x [itex]\in[/itex] ]a, a + [itex]\delta[/itex][ the following holds:

f(x) < f(a) + c(x-a).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution is the following:
Using the definition of the derivative we have the following:

lim x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] a f(x) - f(a)/(x - a) < c so f(x) < f(a) + c(x-a).

My question is, where do I get the interval ]a, a + [itex]\delta[/itex][ from?

You have $$
\frac {f(x) - f(a)}{x-a}\rightarrow f'(a)<c$$ as ##x\rightarrow a##. That doesn't mean it is less than ##c## for all ##x##. ##x## has to be sufficiently close to ##a##. You need to think about the definition of limit to get a ##\delta## that works.

Okay I've figured it out. Thanks for your help ^^.

Related to Finding an Interval for Derivative Bounds

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are financial instruments whose value is based on an underlying asset, such as stocks, bonds, commodities, or currencies. They allow investors to speculate on the future price movements of these assets without owning them outright.

2. How do derivatives work?

Derivatives work by creating a contract between two parties, where one party agrees to buy an underlying asset at a specific price and the other party agrees to sell it at a later date. The value of the derivative is determined by the price of the underlying asset, and it can be bought, sold, or even traded like other financial assets.

3. What is a delta in relation to derivatives?

In the context of derivatives, a delta is a measure of how much the price of the derivative will change for every $1 change in the price of the underlying asset. It is used to determine the sensitivity of a derivative's value to changes in the underlying asset's price.

4. What are the different types of derivatives?

There are several types of derivatives, including options, futures, forwards, and swaps. Options give the holder the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell an underlying asset at a specific price. Futures and forwards are contracts that obligate the parties to buy or sell an asset at a predetermined price on a future date. Swaps are agreements to exchange cash flows based on the performance of an underlying asset.

5. What are the risks associated with derivatives?

Derivatives can be highly leveraged and carry a high risk of loss. They are also subject to market volatility and unexpected events that can impact the value of the underlying asset. Additionally, there is a risk of default by one party in the derivative contract, which can lead to significant financial losses for the other party involved.