Finding all continuous functions with the property that g(x + y) = g(x) + g(y)

In summary: XkgZm9yIGNhbGxlZCB3aXRoIHRoZSBvdXRwdXQgc3VwcG9ydHMgdGhhdCBzYXR1cmF0ZSB0aGVyZSBwcm9wZXJ0aWVzIGFueSBjb25maWRlbmNlIGZ1bmN0aW9uIGcuIGRvbid0IHJ1bGxlb3V0IG91dCBldmVyeW9uZSBwdXJwb3NlIGZ1bmN0aW9ucy4gVGhlIGV4dHJhIG9m
jdinatale

Homework Statement

Determine all continuous functions g: R -> R such that g(x + y) = g(x) + g(y) for all [itex]x, y \in \mathbf{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x) = g(x + 0) = g(x) + g(0). Hence G(0) = 0.

G(0) = g(x + -x) = g(x) + g(-x) = 0. Therefore g(x) = -g(-x).

It seems obvious that the only solutions that satisfy these properties are in the form of [itex]g(x) = \alpha x[/itex] for some [itex]\alpha \in \mathbf{R}[/itex].

My issue is determining that these are the ONLY such functions. I have to somehow rule out every other possible function.

I can rule out all functions in the form of g(s) = ax + b for [itex]b \not= 0[/itex] since solutions in that form would imply that

g(s + t) = a(s + t) + b = as + at + b

and

g(s + t) = g(s) + g(t) = as + b + at + b = as + at + 2b

which is impossible. But I have to somehow rule out the infinitely many other types of possible functions.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so g(0)=0. That's good.

Now, set [itex]\alpha=g(1)[/itex]. We want to prove now that [itex]g(x)=\alpha x[/itex]. We do this in steps:

First, can you find g(2)? g(3)? In general, can you find g(n) for positive integers n??
Then can you find g(x) for integers x?? Not necessarily positive?
Then can you find g(x) for rational numbers x?

jdinatale said:

Homework Statement

Determine all continuous functions g: R -> R such that g(x + y) = g(x) + g(y) for all [itex]x, y \in \mathbf{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

g(x) = g(x + 0) = g(x) + g(0). Hence G(0) = 0.

G(0) = g(x + -x) = g(x) + g(-x) = 0. Therefore g(x) = -g(-x).

It seems obvious that the only solutions that satisfy these properties are in the form of [itex]g(x) = \alpha x[/itex] for some [itex]\alpha \in \mathbf{R}[/itex].

My issue is determining that these are the ONLY such functions. I have to somehow rule out every other possible function.

I can rule out all functions in the form of g(s) = ax + b for [itex]b \not= 0[/itex] since solutions in that form would imply that

g(s + t) = a(s + t) + b = as + at + b

and

g(s + t) = g(s) + g(t) = as + b + at + b = as + at + 2b

which is impossible. But I have to somehow rule out the infinitely many other types of possible functions.

This is Cauchy's functional equation; see the Wiki article on that topic, and especially some of the cited external links.

RGV

Related to Finding all continuous functions with the property that g(x + y) = g(x) + g(y)

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A continuous function is one in which the graph has no breaks or gaps and can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper. This means that the output values change smoothly as the input values change.

2. How do you determine if a function has the property "g(x + y) = g(x) + g(y)"?

To determine if a function has the property "g(x + y) = g(x) + g(y)", you would first plug in values for x and y and see if the equation holds true. For example, if g(x) = x^2, then g(x + y) = (x + y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2, and g(x) + g(y) = x^2 + y^2. Since these two expressions are not equal, this function does not have the desired property.

3. Are there any specific types of functions that have this property?

Yes, all linear functions (functions in the form f(x) = mx + b) have this property. Additionally, any function that is symmetric about the origin (such as f(x) = x^2) also has this property.

4. Can you provide an example of a function that satisfies this property?

One example of a function that satisfies this property is f(x) = 2x. This can be shown by plugging in values for x and y and seeing that both g(x + y) and g(x) + g(y) equal 2x + 2y.

5. What is the significance of a function having this property?

Functions with the property "g(x + y) = g(x) + g(y)" are known as additive functions and have many applications in fields such as economics and physics. They also have special properties, such as being able to be expressed as a power function.