Finding acceleration of a skier on parabola

In summary, the skier is traveling at a constant speed of 6 m/s along a parabolic path y=x^2/20. The acceleration of the skier at (10,5) can be found by using either the formula for slope or the formula for curvature. The formula for curvature can be derived using differential geometry and can also be found through a simple Google search. The final step is to plug in the values for velocity and coordinates to find the magnitude of the acceleration.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

A skier travels with a constant speed of 6 m/s along a parabolic path y= x2/20. Find the acceleration of the skier when he is at (10,5). Neglect the size of skier.

Homework Equations

dy/dx is slope of parabola.
In a straight line if body has distance covered=x, then velocity (v) = dx/dt and acceleration = dv/dt
Radial acceleration is v2/R where R is radius.

The Attempt at a Solution

Slope is 2x/20= x/10.
For straight line determining acceleration is easy but how about this curve case?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a straight line it is indeed very easy: constant speed means zero acceleration !
For a curved trajectory I would think the tangential acceleration at constant speed is zero, so I agree your v2/R is the right answer for this exercise. v is known, so all that remains is to find R at (10,5). We need some equation for that. Any ideas ?

BvU said:
so all that remains is to find R at (10,5). We need some equation for that. Any ideas ?
I saw a unusual formula. From where it has come I don't know.
Can you help on that?
##\frac{1}{R}## =##\frac{d^2y/dx^2}{[1+(dy/dx)^2]^{3/2}}##

I can help on where it comes from: a simple google search brings us here :)

BvU said:
I can help on where it comes from: a simple google search brings us here :)
Thanks, But in the link only formula is given with some description.
Can you provide a derivation of it by some link or by yourself?

Yes. Google "radius of curvature equation derivation" and end up here or here. :) I like the second one.

Likes Raghav Gupta
I also liked the second link.:) Gave the derivation in a nice way. Now the question could be solved by plugging in values in formula .
Only one question that remains is that how according to second link you have provided Curvature or kappa is inverse of radius?

Curvature is the better word, I suppose. We associate radius with a circle. They show k = 1/R on page 5.

You can solve the problem by yourself, by applying the chain rule.
The equation of the path is given, y=x2/20
You know that the components of the velocity are the time-derivatives of the coordinates. vx=dx/dt, vy=dy/dt. Apply chain rule to find vy in terms of vx: vy=2x/20 dx/dt = x/10 vx.
The magnitude of the velocity is given |v|=6, so vx2+vy2=36. Find vx in terms of x from here.
Once you know vx and vy , apply the chain rule again to derive the components of acceleration. Substitute the given coordinates and find the magnitude.

Likes Raghav Gupta
BvU said:
Curvature is the better word, I suppose. We associate radius with a circle. They show k = 1/R on page 5.
Thanks BvU for giving wonderful link for derivation of curvature by differential geometry.

ehild said:
You can solve the problem by yourself, by applying the chain rule.
The equation of the path is given, y=x2/20
You know that the components of the velocity are the time-derivatives of the coordinates. vx=dx/dt, vy=dy/dt. Apply chain rule to find vy in terms of vx: vy=2x/20 dx/dt = x/10 vx.
The magnitude of the velocity is given |v|=6, so vx2+vy2=36. Find vx in terms of x from here.
Once you know vx and vy , apply the chain rule again to derive the components of acceleration. Substitute the given coordinates and find the magnitude.
Thanks ehild for showing me another way.
Though it is a lengthy method comparing with curvature formula
but is elegant because I think many do not know the curvature formula by differential geometry.

Related to Finding acceleration of a skier on parabola

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, or the change in an object's speed and/or direction over time.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. How does the slope of a parabola relate to acceleration?

The slope of a parabola represents the instantaneous rate of change, or the velocity, at a given point. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration.

4. How do you determine the acceleration of a skier on a parabola?

To determine the acceleration of a skier on a parabola, you would need to measure the skier's velocity at two points on the curve and calculate the change in velocity over the change in time. This would give you the average acceleration of the skier on the parabola.

5. Can the acceleration of a skier on a parabola be constant?

No, the acceleration of a skier on a parabola cannot be constant because the slope of a parabola is constantly changing. This means that the skier's velocity and acceleration are also changing as they move along the parabola.