Finding Acceleration in Uniform Circular Motion

In summary, when dealing with circular motion, the vector components of velocity can be differentiated to find the vector components of acceleration. For uniform circular motion, the angular speed ω remains constant, while for non-uniform circular motion, the angular acceleration alpha (dω/dt) must also be taken into account.
emyt
circluar motion, "omega"

hi, I erased the default format by accident, but it's just a quick question:
i and j are unit vectors, w= omega dtheta/dt ,
theta= angle dependent on time

when we have i(-rwsin(theta)) and j(rwcos(theta)) as our velocity vector components,
and we wish to find the acceleration

i(-rwsin(theta)) and j(rwcos(theta)) is differentiated to i(-rw^2cos(theta)) and
j(-rw^2sin(theta))

the factor of omega remains constant because dtheta/dt will be the same everywhere since it is in uniform motion right? consistent speed?

thanks

edit: and if you did not have uniform circular motion, you would get

i(-r(a/r)wcos(theta)) and j(-rw(a/r)sin(theta)) as acceleration components:

using
w = dtheta/dt = v/r
d(v/r) / dt = 1/r(dv/dt) = a/r
when differentiating
-rwsin(theta), getting -r(a/r)wcos(theta) , remembering that theta is a function of time

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct for the uniform circular motion part. For non-uniform (but still circular) motion, ω is not constant so you will need dω/dt terms.

kuruman said:
You are correct for the uniform circular motion part. For non-uniform (but still circular) motion, ω is not constant so you will need dω/dt terms.

thanks, dω/dt is d/dt(v/r) right? which is 1/r dv/dt, isn't that a/r?

emyt said:
thanks, dω/dt is d/dt(v/r) right? which is 1/r dv/dt, isn't that a/r?

You can say that, but I prefer to think of dω/dt as the angular acceleration alpha and leave it at that.

Related to Finding Acceleration in Uniform Circular Motion

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed.

2. What is omega in circular motion?

Omega, represented by the Greek letter ω, is the angular velocity in circular motion. It represents the rate of change of the angle of rotation per unit of time.

3. How is omega related to linear velocity in circular motion?

The linear velocity of an object in circular motion is directly proportional to its angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, so does the linear velocity.

4. Can an object have a constant omega in circular motion?

Yes, an object can have a constant omega in circular motion if it maintains a constant speed and radius of rotation.

5. What is the unit of measurement for omega?

The unit of measurement for omega is radians per second (rad/s). It can also be expressed in revolutions per minute (rpm) or degrees per second (°/s).