How do I find the equation of motion for this object?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of motion for an object by setting the derivative of the total energy equal to zero. This involves using the equations r(theta) and v(theta) to find the derivative of total energy, and then using this derivative to solve for the equation of motion. The concept of equations of motion is explained and a resource is suggested for further understanding. The importance of using LaTeX for equations is also mentioned.
1v1Dota2RightMeow

Homework Statement

Find the equation of motion of the object by setting the derivative of the total energy equal to zero.

Homework Equations

r(theta)=(Rcos(theta), Rsin(theta), q*theta)

v(theta)=dr/dt=(-Rsin(theta)dtheta/dt, Rcos(theta)dtheta/dt, q*dtheta/dt)

derivative of Total Energy = m(dtheta/dt)(d^2theta/dt^2)(R^2+q^2)+m*g*q*dtheta/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked it all out to the point of finding the derivative of the total energy above. But I'm confused now. What does it mean to find an equation of motion? Let's start with that because if I don't know what an equation of motion will even look like, then I won't have any clue if I've found it or if I'm even on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
What does it mean to find an equation of motion?
See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion about equations of motion.
Other than that, please provide the complete problem statement, not just the question of what you are required to find. Also, it would be nice to use LaTeX for your equations. The time you invest learning it is worth it.

Related to How do I find the equation of motion for this object?

What is the equation of motion for an object?

The equation of motion for an object describes its position, velocity, and acceleration as a function of time. It is typically expressed as x(t) = x0 + v0t + ½at2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is time.

How do I find the equation of motion for a given object?

To find the equation of motion for a specific object, you will need to know its initial position, velocity, and acceleration. You can measure these values directly or use other equations, such as F = ma, to calculate them. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the equation x(t) = x0 + v0t + ½at2 to find the object's equation of motion.

Can the equation of motion be used for any object?

The equation of motion is a fundamental equation in physics and can be used for any object that is experiencing constant acceleration. This includes objects moving in a straight line, such as a falling ball, as well as objects moving in a curved path, such as a car turning a corner. However, it may not accurately describe the motion of objects experiencing non-constant acceleration, such as a rocket blasting off into space.

Are there other equations for describing an object's motion?

Yes, in addition to the equation of motion, there are other equations that can be used to describe an object's motion. These include equations for calculating velocity and acceleration, such as v = v0 + at and a = (v - v0)/t. There are also equations for describing the motion of objects experiencing non-constant acceleration, such as the equations for projectile motion.

How can I use the equation of motion to make predictions about an object's future motion?

By using the equation of motion, you can calculate the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object at any point in time. This allows you to make predictions about how the object will move in the future. For example, you can use the equation to determine when and where a ball will land if you throw it with a certain initial velocity and angle. These predictions can be verified through experimentation or used to design and optimize systems, such as roller coasters or rockets.