Finding a theoretical magnetic dipole

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance in finding the theoretical value of the magnetic dipole moment for small neodymium magnets, but acknowledges that it may be difficult to find due to variations in size and material. They are open to suggestions or resources for obtaining this information.
dev10251
I recently completed a lab over magnetism and I need some help on my results. We were asked to find the magnetic dipole moment of small neodymium magnets that were about the size of a dime and around 1/4 inch thick. I found the experimental value using my results. However, I have not been able to locate a theoretical value. I realize that it changes with size and material, making it very unlikely to find. But if anyone knows where I can find the values of magnetic dipole moments of different magnets, please let me know. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, the theoretical value of the magnetic dipole moment of a particular magnet will depend on its size and composition, and therefore cannot be found easily. The best you can do is to measure the magnetic field of your magnets using an appropriate instrument, such as a gaussmeter. You can then calculate the magnetic dipole moment from the measured field. Alternatively, you may be able to find published tables of magnetic dipole moment values for specific types of magnets.

1. What is a theoretical magnetic dipole?

A theoretical magnetic dipole refers to a hypothetical model of a magnet that consists of two equal and opposite poles, north and south, separated by a finite distance. It is used to explain the behavior of magnetic materials and their interactions with other magnets or magnetic fields.

2. How is a theoretical magnetic dipole different from a real magnet?

A theoretical magnetic dipole does not exist in reality and is only used as a mathematical model. Real magnets have a more complex structure with multiple poles and can have varying field strengths and directional properties.

3. What are the applications of studying theoretical magnetic dipoles?

Studying theoretical magnetic dipoles allows us to better understand the fundamental principles of magnetism and its role in various physical phenomena. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials science, electronics, and medical imaging.

4. How can one find a theoretical magnetic dipole?

Theoretical magnetic dipoles are typically found through mathematical calculations and simulations. Scientists use equations and models, such as the dipole moment, to describe the behavior of a theoretical magnetic dipole.

5. Can a theoretical magnetic dipole be observed or measured?

No, a theoretical magnetic dipole cannot be directly observed or measured as it does not exist in reality. However, its effects can be observed and measured through experiments and simulations, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior of real magnetic materials.