Magnetic dipole at the centre of a sphere

In summary: Griffiths text except that in the denominator of the second term mu naught and μ are interchanged in my answer.You have to be more careful in relating B and H to D and E.
shubham agn
The problem is as follows: There is a point magnetic dipole embedded at the center of a sphere (radius R) of linear magnetic material of permeability μ. What is the magnetic field inside the sphere?
I know that this problem has been solved in many books.But I am trying a different method. Since the magnetic field of a magnetic dipole takes the same form as electric field of an electric dipole, I calculated the electric field inside a sphere (of linear dielectric material of permittivity ε) having a point electric dipole embedded at the center.
And then just replaced ε by 1/μ and the electric dipole moment 'p' by the magnetic dipole moment 'm' and of course epsilon naught by one over mu naught. But the answer does not match the correct answer.
Is this method of mine wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) Do you mean the field at a distance R from the centre of the dipole?
(2) Are you assuming (as usual) that the linear dimensions of the dipole are much less than R?
(3) It would probably help if you posted your own result.

Philip Wood said:
(1) Do you mean the field at a distance R from the centre of the dipole?
(2) Are you assuming (as usual) that the linear dimensions of the dipole are much less than R?
(3) It would probably help if you posted your own result.
First, thanks for your reply!
The question is to find the field at a distance r <R from the dipole. And yes the dipole is assumed to be a point dipole so its linear dimensions are small compared to R.

Still can't see the relevance of the sphere. Why not just find the field strength at distance r from (the centre of) the dipole?
shubham agn said:
But the answer does not match the correct answer.
And what was your answer?

Philip Wood said:
Still can't see the relevance of the sphere. Why not just find the field strength at distance r from (the centre of) the dipole?

And what was your answer?
The magnetic dipole will magnetize the sphere. This magnetization will create a field of its own. We need to find the net field, that is the resultant field due the dipole and the magnetization of the sphere. My answer is almost the same as that given in Griffiths text except that in the denominator of the second term mu naught and μ are interchanged in my answer.

You have to be more careful in relating B and H to D and E. Is your "magnetic field" B or H?

Related to Magnetic dipole at the centre of a sphere

1. What is a magnetic dipole at the centre of a sphere?

A magnetic dipole at the centre of a sphere refers to a hypothetical situation in which a magnetic dipole is placed at the exact centre of a spherical object. It is often used as a simplified model to study the behavior of magnetic fields.

2. How is the magnetic dipole moment of a sphere calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment of a sphere can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the surface area of the sphere. This can be represented mathematically as M = B x A, where M is the magnetic dipole moment, B is the magnetic field strength, and A is the surface area of the sphere.

3. What is the relationship between the magnetic dipole and the magnetic field of a sphere?

The magnetic dipole of a sphere is directly related to the strength and direction of the magnetic field it produces. The direction of the dipole moment is parallel to the direction of the magnetic field, and the strength of the dipole moment is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic dipole at the centre of a sphere affect the surrounding magnetic field?

The magnetic dipole at the centre of a sphere can significantly alter the surrounding magnetic field. It can cause the magnetic field lines to bend and curve, creating a non-uniform field. The strength of the field at different points around the sphere will also vary due to the presence of the dipole.

5. Can a magnetic dipole at the centre of a sphere exist in real life?

No, a magnetic dipole at the centre of a sphere is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in real life. This is because it would require a perfectly symmetrical and uniform magnetic field, which is not possible to achieve in reality. However, the model is still used in scientific studies as a simplified representation of more complex magnetic systems.