Finding a Taylor Series from a function and approximation of sums

In summary, the given equation \mu = \frac{mM}{m+M} can be expressed as \mu \approx m, but this approximation depends on the relative magnitudes of m and M, which are not specified in the problem statement. Additionally, the equation can also be expressed as a geometric series, m * \frac{1}{1-(- \frac{m}{M})}, as suggested by LCKurtz.
Illania

Homework Statement

[itex]\mu = \frac{mM}{m+M}[/itex]

a. Show that [itex]\mu = m[/itex]
b. Express [itex]\mu[/itex] as m times a series in [itex]\frac{m}{M}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble seeing how to turn this into a series. How can I look at the given function differently and see a series in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Illania said:

Homework Statement

a. Show that [itex]\mu = m[/itex]
I don't see how that can be. Is there something you aren't telling us?
b. Express [itex]\mu[/itex] as m times a series in [itex]\frac{m}{M}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble seeing how to turn this into a series. How can I look at the given function differently and see a series in it?

Maybe try writing$$
\frac{mM}{m+M}= m\left( \frac M {M+m}\right) = m\left( \frac 1 {1+\frac m M}\right)$$and use long division.

LCKurtz said:
use long division.

I'd go for writing it as a geometric series.
$${1\over 1+x}=1-x+x^2-x^3+...$$

If [itex]\mu= \frac{mM}{m+Mz}= m\frac{M}{m+ M}[/itex] then [itex]\mu= m[/itex] if and only if [itex]\frac{M}{m+ M}= 1[/itex] which leads to [itex]M= m+ M[/itex] and then [itex]m= 0[/itex].

Apologies everyone, it is actually [itex]\mu \approx m[/itex].

Also, I do see how I could turn LCKurtz suggestion into a geometric series: [itex]m * \frac{1}{1-(- \frac{m}{M})}[/itex] is the sum of the geometric series: [itex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{0} (-1)^nm(\frac{m}{M})^n[/itex]

Illania said:
Apologies everyone, it is actually [itex]\mu \approx m[/itex].
Is there more that you haven't told us? Making this approximation depends on how large m and M are relative to each other. But the problem statement says nothing about their relative magnitude or what they are supposed to represent.

Related to Finding a Taylor Series from a function and approximation of sums

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated using the function's derivatives at a single point.

2. How do I find the Taylor Series of a function?

To find the Taylor Series of a function, you need to calculate the function's derivatives at a single point and then plug them into the formula for a Taylor Series. This formula involves an infinite sum of terms, so it may be helpful to use a computer or calculator to calculate the series.

3. What is the purpose of finding the Taylor Series of a function?

The Taylor Series helps us approximate a function at a specific point by using a polynomial of finite degree. This can be useful in solving differential equations and in numerical analysis.

4. How accurate is the approximation from a Taylor Series?

The accuracy of the Taylor Series approximation depends on the degree of the polynomial used and the proximity of the point to the center of the series. In general, the more terms used in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Can any function be represented by a Taylor Series?

No, not all functions can be represented by a Taylor Series. The function must be infinitely differentiable at the point of approximation in order for a Taylor Series to exist.