Finding a Solution with Unknowns

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, the author is saying that using instinct instead of logic or a combination of the two usually results in faster solutions, but that this method can take longer than necessary. They also mention the Polya method.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How do you go about finding a solution if there are several unknowns ? i seem
to be useing instinct rather than logic, or a bit of both, to get things fixed quickly, i know it is the wrong thing to do ,one should start solving a problem from the beginning or end, but this way seems to take much longer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you truly have several independent equations, there is no shortcut. Maybe, use a computer tool?

wolram said:
to be useing instinct rather than logic, or a bit of both, to get things fixed quickly, i know it is the wrong thing to do ,one should start solving a problem from the beginning or end, but this way seems to take much longer.
What kind of problem are you thinking about here?

zoobyshoe said:
What kind of problem are you thinking about here?

Fixing all typs of machine Zooby, often with no, or outdated wireing/pnumatic
diagrams, the food industry seems to prefer adapted secondhand machines to
purpose built new ones, i suppose they are right in a way as they are so mistreated, but it sure don't help me when they stop working.

wolram said:

The Polya method.

wolram said:
Fixing all typs of machine Zooby, often with no, or outdated wireing/pnumatic
diagrams,
While I prefer to have plans on hand, I seem to usually just go by logic and a bit of mechanical instinct. My success rate rather astounds me. :bugeye:

Danger said:
While I prefer to have plans on hand, I seem to usually just go by logic and a bit of mechanical instinct. My success rate rather astounds me. :bugeye:

Why be astounded ? i find the ability to solve problems quickly earns one fame,
and your fans ring you all times of day or night

Related to Finding a Solution with Unknowns

What is the process for finding a solution with unknowns?

The process for finding a solution with unknowns involves identifying and defining the unknown variables, setting up equations or a system of equations based on the given information, and then using mathematical operations to solve for the unknowns.

How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check the accuracy of your solution by substituting the values you found for the unknowns back into the original equations and verifying that they satisfy the equations. Additionally, you can use a calculator or online tool to double-check your work.

What do I do if I have more unknowns than equations?

If you have more unknowns than equations, it is not possible to find a unique solution. In this case, you may need to gather more information or make assumptions to reduce the number of unknowns.

Can I use multiple methods to solve for unknowns?

Yes, you can use different methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for unknowns. Each method may be more efficient or suitable for different types of problems, so it is important to choose the best method for the given situation.

What should I do if I encounter complex or imaginary solutions?

If your solution involves complex or imaginary numbers, it means that the equations have no real solutions. In this case, you can still use the complex or imaginary numbers to represent the solution, but it may not have a physical or practical meaning in the given context.