Finding a Formula for the General Term of a Sequence

In summary: I appreciate it!In summary, the bored student enters the number 0.5 in her calculator, then repeatedly computes the square of the number in the display. Taking A0 = 0.5, find a formula for the general term of the sequence {An} of the numbers that appear in the display, and find the limit of the sequence {An}.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

A bored student enters the number 0.5 in her calculator, then repeatedly computes the square of the number in the display. Taking A0 = 0.5, find a formula for the general term of the sequence {An} of the numbers that appear in the display, and find the limit of the sequence {An}.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm having a difficult time finding a standard rule to this sequence. The only thing I came up with was an= (a(n-1))2. Then it doesn't seem reasonable to show the limit of this sequence is = 0 as n increases, an decreases. Is there another way of finding a rule that is easier to work with?

Physics news on Phys.org
So ##a_0 = 0.5##. Can you give me ##a_1##? ##a_2##? ##a_3##? ##a_4##? (don't work it out completely, leave it in symbols, so don't say that ##(0.5)^2 = 0.25##, but leave it as ##(0.5)^2##). Do you notice a pattern?

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
So ##a_0 = 0.5##. Can you give me ##a_1##? ##a_2##? ##a_3##? ##a_4##? (don't work it out completely, leave it in symbols, so don't say that ##(0.5)^2 = 0.25##, but leave it as ##(0.5)^2##). Do you notice a pattern?

##a_1##=##(0.5)^2##

##a_2##=##(0.25)^2##

##a_3##=##(0.0625)^2##

##a_4##=##(0.00390625)^2##

Hmmm, I see that 0625 is recurring and I'm assuming that as n increases, the amount of decimal places increase by 2n places. Does that make sense?

EDIT: This is probably what you didn't want me to do eh Micromass? I improved my answer down below.

Last edited:
You are simplifying, which hides the pattern. And so do decimals. Start out with ##a_0=\frac 1 2## and try that. Look for un-multiplied out powers of ##2##.

LCKurtz said:
You are simplifying, which hides the pattern. And so do decimals. Start out with ##a_0=\frac 1 2## and try that. Look for un-multiplied out powers of ##2##.

Gotcha,

##a_0=\frac 1 {2}^{1}##
##a_1=\frac 1 {2}^{2}##
##a_2=\frac 1 {2}^{4}##
##a_3=\frac 1 {2}^{8}##

Bingo. ##a_n={2}^{2}^{n}##

I can't seem to get latex to work but it's 22n

EDIT: I got excited, it's 1/22n

Jimbo57 said:
Gotcha,

##a_0=(\frac 1 {2})^{1}##
##a_1=(\frac 1 {2})^{2}##
##a_2=(\frac 1 {2})^{4}##
##a_3=(\frac 1 {2})^{8}##

Bingo. ##a_n=\frac 1 {2^{2^n}}##

I can't seem to get latex to work but it's 22n

I added parentheses which are necessary and fixed your latex. Right click on an expression to see how it was fixed.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
I added parentheses which are necessary and fixed your latex. Right click on an expression to see how it was fixed.

Thank you so much LCKurtz

Related to Finding a Formula for the General Term of a Sequence

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a set of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term. For example, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 is a sequence where each term is obtained by adding 2 to the previous term.

2. What is the general term of a sequence?

The general term of a sequence is an equation or formula that allows us to find any term in the sequence without having to list out all the previous terms. It is also known as the nth term formula, where n represents the position of the term in the sequence.

3. Why is it important to find the general term of a sequence?

Finding the general term of a sequence allows us to easily determine any term in the sequence without having to list out all the previous terms. It also helps us understand the pattern or rule behind the sequence, which can be useful in solving more complex mathematical problems.

4. How do you find the general term of a sequence?

To find the general term of a sequence, you must first identify the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. This can be done by looking at the differences between each term or by finding a common factor or ratio between the terms. Once the pattern has been identified, you can create an equation or formula that represents the sequence.

5. Can there be more than one general term for a sequence?

Yes, there can be multiple general terms for a sequence as long as they follow the same pattern and produce the same terms. For example, the sequence 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 can have the general term n + 1 or 2n - 1.