Finding a cubic polynomial that attains a max/min value over an open interval

Then add a horizontal scaling factor and a vertical scaling factor to get the desired result.In summary, to find a cubic polynomial that reaches both its maximum and minimum values on the open interval (-1,4), you can start with any cubic function with distinct maxima and minima, then shift and re-scale x until the max and min lie within the interval. Finally, adjust the horizontal and vertical scaling factors to get the desired result.
phosgene

Homework Statement

Give an example of a cubic polynomial, defined on the open interval (-1,4), which reaches both its maximum and minimum values.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that I would need a function such that there is some f(a) and f(b) in (f(-1),f(4)) such that f(a) >= all f(x) for x in (-1,4) and f(b) <= all f(x) for x in (-1,4). I used an online tool to adjust the coefficients of a cubic until I got what I needed. But I have no idea how to do this by myself. All that I can think of is to somehow use the fact that at extrema, a function's derivative is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
phosgene said:

Homework Statement

Give an example of a cubic polynomial, defined on the open interval (-1,4), which reaches both its maximum and minimum values.

Homework Equations

-

I can see that I would need a function such that there is some f(a) and f(b) in (f(-1),f(4)) such that f(a) >= all f(x) for x in (-1,4) and f(b) <= all f(x) for x in (-1,4). I used an online tool to adjust the coefficients of a cubic until I got what I needed. But I have no idea how to do this by myself. All that I can think of is to somehow use the fact that at extrema, a function's derivative is zero.

Write your cubic as y = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c). The x-intercepts are at (a, 0), (b, 0), and (c, 0). Without too much effort you can put in values for a, b, and c so that all three intercepts are in the interval (-1, 4), with a local maximum between a and b, and a local minimum between b and c.

phosgene said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-

You could find just any old cubic p(x) that has distinct maxima and minima, then shift and re-scale x until the max and min lie in your interval.

Related to Finding a cubic polynomial that attains a max/min value over an open interval

1. What is a cubic polynomial?

A cubic polynomial is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants. It is a type of polynomial that has the highest degree of 3.

2. How do you find the maximum or minimum value of a cubic polynomial over an open interval?

To find the maximum or minimum value of a cubic polynomial, you need to take the derivative of the polynomial and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. The critical points will be the x-values where the polynomial attains a maximum or minimum value. You can then plug these values back into the original polynomial to find the corresponding y-values.

3. What is an open interval?

An open interval is a set of real numbers between two values, where the endpoints are not included. For example, (2, 6) is an open interval where 2 and 6 are not included, but any number between 2 and 6 is part of the interval.

4. Can a cubic polynomial attain both a maximum and minimum value over an open interval?

Yes, a cubic polynomial can attain both a maximum and minimum value over an open interval. This is because a cubic polynomial can have multiple critical points within an open interval, which can result in both a maximum and minimum value depending on the shape of the function.

5. How do you graph a cubic polynomial over an open interval?

To graph a cubic polynomial over an open interval, you can first plot the critical points and use them as guide points for the graph. Then, use the behavior of the polynomial at the endpoints of the interval to determine the overall shape of the graph. Finally, connect the guide points with a smooth curve to create the graph of the polynomial over the open interval.