Finding a constant in an expanding universe

In summary, In an expanding universe volume times total density must be constant. It is wrong? Probably - depends on the Universe.
utku
Finding a constant in an axpanding univarse

Hi,
I want to obtain a constant that proportional to total matter density of universe.

Let ρ be matter densitiy and ρr be radiation desity.

In an expanding universe volume times total density must be constant. It is wrong?

let me show it is not correct because,

a^3(ρ + ρr) = ρ0 + ρr0/a

where ρ0 is matter density at present and similarly ρr0 is radiation density at present.And "a" is scale factor that function of time coordinate.
As you can see volume times total matter density not constant.

And energy of radiation decays like 1/a due to the expansion, total energy is conserved but energy of radition is not conserved. How this energy transform?

thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
In an expanding universe volume times total density must be constant. It is wrong?
Probably - depends on the Universe.

In a closed universe that is expanding so that total volume increases with time, then the total matter density is M/V(t) ... this decreases with time unless more matter comes from someplace.

Your calculation was for energy density ... including only matter and light.
Did you miss out some forms of energy?
You also failed to justify the equality.

If you assume that the matter density must be a constant, and you want to find a constant proportional to the matter density, then why not just use the matter density?

Total energy may be zero - for matter the negative energy of each local G field summed over the Hubble sphere must be considered - radiation and other forms of energy also correspond to an mc^2 energy, and consequently may be canceled by an associated negative potential.

... and so on: i.e. it depends on the Universe.
@utku: any of this of any use?

utku said:
Only for matter that has no pressure on cosmological scales, i.e. normal matter and dark matter (normal matter experiences pressure in compact objects, but not at very large scales, as galaxies don't apply pressure to one another, except when they are actively colliding).

utku said:
And energy of radiation decays like 1/a due to the expansion, total energy is conserved but energy of radition is not conserved. How this energy transform?
Total energy is not conserved in all situations in General Relativity. In particular, it isn't conserved in an expanding universe. For a more in-depth analysis, see here:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

Thanks for your reply Simon Bridge and Yogi,Chalnoth.

I will look the article that Chaltoth send.
Some Energy of the radiation loses due to the expansion. What is this energy transform to?

utku said:
Some Energy of the radiation loses due to the expansion. What is this energy transform to?
It doesn't transform into anything. Energy simply isn't conserved in an expanding universe.

utku said:
Hi,
I want to obtain a constant that proportional to total matter density of universe.

Let ρ be matter densitiy and ρr be radiation desity.

let me show it is not correct because,

a^3(ρ + ρr) = ρ0 + ρr0/a

You forgot the ##pdV## term in the first law of thermodynamics as applied to cosmology.

$$\begin{align}
0 &= dE + pdV\\
&= \mathrm{d}\left(a^3 \rho \right) + p \mathrm{d}\left(a^3 \right)
\end{align}$$

If what you wrote above were true, then the first term in my last equation would be zero; this isn't correct, it is the sum of the two terms that is zero.

Try to use the photon gas equation of state

$$p = \frac{1}{3} \rho_r$$

and what I wrote above to derive the dependence of ##\rho_r## on ##a##.

Last edited:
Thanks to all.
I search the forum and find very usefull answers to many questions about cosmology. I think before make new reply ı must search the forum:)

2-
yes, i calculate George Jones, and it must depend a^(-4).

Related to Finding a constant in an expanding universe

1. How is the expansion of the universe measured?

The expansion of the universe is measured through observations of the redshift of distant galaxies. Redshift is the phenomenon where light from an object appears to shift towards the red end of the spectrum, indicating that the object is moving away from us. The further away a galaxy is, the greater its redshift and the faster it is receding from us. This allows us to calculate the rate of expansion of the universe.

2. What is the Hubble constant and how is it related to the expansion of the universe?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is named after astronomer Edwin Hubble, who first discovered the relationship between the distance of galaxies and their redshift. The Hubble constant is used to calculate the age of the universe and its size.

3. Can the expansion of the universe ever stop or reverse?

Based on current observations and understanding, it is unlikely that the expansion of the universe will ever stop or reverse. In fact, the expansion is believed to be accelerating due to a mysterious force called dark energy. However, there are theories that suggest the expansion could eventually slow down or reverse in the distant future.

4. How does the concept of a constant change in an expanding universe affect our understanding of the laws of physics?

The concept of a constant change in an expanding universe challenges our understanding of the laws of physics. As the universe expands, the distances between objects increase, which could potentially affect the fundamental constants of nature such as the speed of light. This has led to ongoing research and debates in the scientific community.

5. What are some potential implications of finding a constant in an expanding universe?

Finding a constant in an expanding universe could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It could provide insight into the nature of dark energy and the fate of the universe. It could also help us refine our understanding of the laws of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries and technologies. However, further research and observations are needed to fully understand the implications of this concept.