Finding a change in angular velocity, with out I equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating playground carousel with a given radius, initial angular speed, and moment of inertia. A person with a given mass climbs onto the carousel, and the question is posed about the resulting angular speed of the carousel. The conversation mentions the use of conservation of angular momentum and rotational energy to solve the problem, and ultimately arrives at a solution involving the calculation of the moment of inertia after the person gets on. The final equation for the angular speed after the person gets on is presented.
Shepherd7

Homework Statement

A playground carousel is rotating about its center. The radius of the carousel is 1.5m, its initial angular speed is 3.14 rad/s and its moment of inertia is 125 kg m^2. A 40kg person climbs onto the carousel near its outer edge. What is the angular speed of the carousel after the person climbs aboard?

Homework Equations

Krot = 1/2 I W^2
L=IW
I = intergral r^2 dm
I = Icm + Md^2
Here's the kicker we can't use the equations for the moment of inertia about a rotating disk. Can't use I = 1/2MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just lost I've tried solving this problem multiple ways with different equations.
This is my last attempt

Li=Lf
IiWi = IfWf
IiWi/Wf = If

1/2 Ii Wi^2 = 1/2 If Wf^2

1/2 Ii Wi^2 = 1/2 IiWi/Wf * Wf^2

Ii Wi^2 / Ii Wi = Wf
(125 * 3.14^2) / (125*3.14) = Wf = 3.14

Am I any where close!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shepherd7 said:
Am I any where close!

It seems that you are trying to apply conservation of angular momentum as well as conservation of rotational energy. you could do both, but not at the same time, as they are redundant; the former is simpler:

[tex]L_\mathrm{before}=L_\mathrm{after}=L[/tex]

so

[tex]I_\mathrm{before}\omega_\mathrm{before}=I_\mathrm{after}\omega_\mathrm{after}[/tex]

as you stated, yourself. To complete the argument however, you need to know the moment of inertial after the person gets on. Fortunately, that is a simple matter if you assume the person to be a point mass:

[tex]I_\mathrm{after}=I_\mathrm{before}+m_\mathrm{person}r^2[/tex]

putting is together:

[tex]I_\mathrm{before}\omega_\mathrm{before}=\left(I_\mathrm{before}+m_\mathrm{person}r^2\right)\omega_\mathrm{after}[/tex]

or

[tex]\omega_\mathrm{after}=\frac{I_\mathrm{before}}{I_\mathrm{before}+m_\mathrm{person}r^2}\omega_\mathrm{before}[/tex]

As this qoutient is less than one, the angular velocity will decrease to conserve the angular momentum.

I would like to first address the statement that equations for the moment of inertia of a rotating disk cannot be used. This is incorrect, as the moment of inertia for a rotating disk is given by I = 1/2MR^2. However, I understand that this may be a restriction given by the homework assignment, so I will provide a solution without using this equation.

To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of angular momentum. This states that the initial angular momentum of the system is equal to the final angular momentum of the system. In this case, the initial angular momentum of the carousel is given by IiWi, where Ii is the moment of inertia and Wi is the initial angular speed. The final angular momentum of the system will be equal to the sum of the angular momentum of the carousel and the person, which can be expressed as IfWf + mpRp, where If is the final moment of inertia, Wf is the final angular speed, mp is the mass of the person, and Rp is the distance from the center of rotation to the person.

Setting these two equal, we can solve for the final angular speed:

IiWi = IfWf + mpRp

Solving for Wf:

Wf = (IiWi - mpRp) / If

Plugging in the given values, we get:

Wf = (125*3.14*3.14 - 40*1.5) / (125 + 40*1.5^2)

Wf = 2.44 rad/s

Therefore, the angular speed of the carousel after the person climbs aboard is 2.44 rad/s.

Related to Finding a change in angular velocity, with out I equation

1. How do I calculate angular velocity without using the moment of inertia equation?

There are two main methods for finding angular velocity without the moment of inertia equation. The first method involves measuring the time it takes for an object to complete a full rotation and using the equation ω = 2π/T, where ω is angular velocity and T is time. The second method involves using the conservation of angular momentum equation, L = Iω, where L is angular momentum and I is moment of inertia. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for angular velocity without needing to know the moment of inertia.

2. Can I find the change in angular velocity without knowing the initial and final angular velocities?

Yes, it is possible to find the change in angular velocity without knowledge of the initial and final angular velocities. This can be done by using the relationship between angular displacement and angular acceleration, which is given by the equation Δω = αΔt, where Δω is the change in angular velocity, α is angular acceleration, and Δt is the time interval. This method assumes that the object starts from rest and undergoes constant angular acceleration.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the change in angular velocity?

The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, can affect the change in angular velocity. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to produce the same change in angular velocity as an object with a smaller moment of inertia. This means that the moment of inertia can influence the amount of work that is needed to change an object's angular velocity.

4. Can I use the concept of torque to find the change in angular velocity?

Yes, the concept of torque can be used to find the change in angular velocity. Torque, which is the rotational equivalent of force, is given by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the change in angular velocity, Δω = τ/I. This method is useful when the moment of inertia and torque are known.

5. How can I experimentally determine the change in angular velocity?

To experimentally determine the change in angular velocity, you can use a variety of methods such as using a tachometer to measure the rotational speed of an object, using a photogate to measure the time it takes for an object to complete a rotation, or using a video analysis software to track the angular displacement of an object over time. By combining these methods, you can calculate the change in angular velocity and compare it to the theoretical values obtained through calculations.