Finding a centriod (center of mass)

In summary, the homework problem asks to find the coordinates of the centroid for four different shapes, with given equations and conditions. To find the centroid, the area is first calculated by integrating the function, and then the coordinates are found using equations for xbar and ybar. For shape a, xbar=0 due to symmetry, and ybar is found by integrating 2.y.sqrt(4-y).dy from 0 to 4. For shapes b-d, the same steps are followed, with adjustments for any additional conditions given.
thename1000
Studying for a test and I can't really grasp a full example problem. I would also like help on a couple further example problems that are not done for me.

Homework Statement

Find the exact coordinates of the centriod:

a. y=4-x^2, y=0
b. 3x+2y=6, y=0, x=0
c. y=e^x, y=0, x=0, x=1
d. y=1/x, y=0, x=1, x=2

Homework Equations

equation 1: xbar=(1/A) of integral from a to b of xf(x) dx
equation 2: ybar=(1/A) of integral from a to b of (1/2)* [f(x)]^2 dx

A= area
f(x)=the function

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I have this entire problem worked out for me. I understand why xbar=0, but not how to solve for ybar. In my notes it goes from the line ybar=equation 2 (with f(x) filled in)
to A= integral of -2 to 2 of (4-x^2)dx
to 2 * integral from 0 to 2 of (4-x^2)dx
I don't know why the limits changed or where the 2 came from.

b-d
Could someone run down how to do these. Don't complete the problem or anything but I'm not sure about:

*What to do with the second conditions. (y=1, x=0, y=0 etc.
*To find x intercepts for integration do I just solve for x?

It looks to me like you follow these steps:

1. Find out if either xbar or ybar are zero (odd). Which saves time.
2. Find area by integrating the function. <<Not clear to me how exactly to do this.
3. Plug A into given equation
4. Integrate

Homework Statement

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
first think about the shape, in this case an negtive paraboloid bounded by the x axis(y=0)

so xbar is zero as the shape is symmetric about the y axis

to compute ybar use the follwing steps, first compute the whole area by either an intergal over x or y, as we are trying to find y bar, use an integral over y (though its a little trickier to set-up)

now for a given y, is what is the area, dA(y), of a sliver of width dy? rearranging for x

[tex] x = \sqrt{4-y} [/tex]
then counting the contribution on each side of teh y-axis gives:
[tex] dA(y) = 2.x.dy = 2.sqrt(4-y).dy [/tex]
to find the area integrate from the x-axis to the turning point
[tex] A = \int dA(y) = \int_0^4 2.sqrt(4-y).dy [/tex]
note you could set this up in termes of x and it would be a bit easier, though we need it again later

to work out the centre of mass now sum up the contribution of each area element using an integral
[tex] \bar{y}.A = \int y.dA(y) = \int_0^4 2.y.sqrt(4-y).dy [/tex]

the the average centre of mass is given by
[tex] \bar{y} = \frac{\int y.dA(y)}{\int dA(y)} = \frac{\bar{y}.A }{A} [/tex]

Related to Finding a centriod (center of mass)

1. What is the definition of a centroid?

A centroid is the point at which the entire mass of an object is concentrated and the object can be balanced. It is also known as the center of mass.

2. How is the centroid of an object determined?

The centroid of an object can be determined by finding the average of the coordinates of all the points that make up the object. This can be done using a mathematical formula or by physically balancing the object on a pivot point.

3. What are some real-life applications of finding the centroid?

Finding the centroid is important in engineering and physics, as it helps determine the stability and balance of structures. It is also used in navigation and robotics to determine the center of an object's weight distribution.

4. Can the centroid of an irregularly shaped object be found?

Yes, the centroid of any object can be found as long as the coordinates of its points are known. This includes irregularly shaped objects.

5. How does the centroid of an object affect its stability?

The closer the centroid of an object is to its base of support, the more stable the object will be. This is because the weight of the object is evenly distributed and there is less chance of it tipping over.