Finding a basis in ImT using Gaussian Elimination

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ImT basis of a given matrix. The attempt at a solution involves transforming the matrix into reduced row echelon form and using the principle of pivots to determine two basis vectors. However, the question remains why the entire first matrix cannot be used as a basis, as it would result in three vectors instead of the correct answer of two.
JoshMaths

Homework Statement

$$
\begin{pmatrix}
-1&3&0\\
2&0&-1\\
0&-6&1
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Finding the ImT basis of this

The Attempt at a Solution

I got it down to

$$
\begin{pmatrix}
1&0&-1/2\\
0&1&1/6\\
0&0&1
\end{pmatrix}
$$

I know that by the principle of having pivots as the only non-zero entities in their respective columns this makes that column one of the basis vectors. So answer is

[-1,2,0] [3,0,-6]

What i don't understand is why (In the r-echelon form) i cannot subtract -1/2(Row 3) from Row 1 and Subtract 1/6(Row 3) from Row 2 to give the Guass-Jordan form or Identity form which would imply that the entire first matrix was a basis for itself right? Meaning the basis contains three vectors instead of the actual two is contains in the correct answer.

Thanks, and i hope the question has come out clearly, just say if clarification is needed.

Josh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is 'ImT basis'?
The image of some basis under T?

No it's just the basis over T i guess. The generic basis that spans T(v) where v is an arbitrary vector and the matrix for T is the above.

Related to Finding a basis in ImT using Gaussian Elimination

1. What is a basis in ImT?

A basis in ImT (Image space) is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire image space of a given transformation. In other words, it is a set of vectors that can be used to form any vector in the image space through linear combinations.

2. Why is finding a basis in ImT important?

Finding a basis in ImT is important because it helps to understand the structure and properties of the image space of a transformation. It also allows for efficient computations and simplification of problems involving the transformation.

3. How is Gaussian Elimination used to find a basis in ImT?

Gaussian Elimination is a systematic method for solving systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the system into an equivalent system with a simpler structure, making it easier to find solutions. In the context of finding a basis in ImT, Gaussian Elimination is used to reduce a set of vectors in the image space into its most simplified form, resulting in a basis.

4. What are the steps involved in finding a basis in ImT using Gaussian Elimination?

The steps involved in finding a basis in ImT using Gaussian Elimination include:

1. Formulating the given transformation as a system of linear equations using a matrix.
  2. Performing row operations on the matrix to reduce it to its simplest form, known as the Reduced Row Echelon Form (RREF).
  3. Identifying the pivot columns in the RREF matrix, which correspond to the pivot columns in the original matrix. These columns form the basis in ImT.

5. Can Gaussian Elimination be used to find a basis in ImT for any transformation?

Yes, Gaussian Elimination can be used to find a basis in ImT for any linear transformation. However, it is important to note that not all transformations have a finite basis in ImT. In such cases, Gaussian Elimination can still be used to find a basis, but it may result in an infinite basis.