Finding 3 natural numbers by the rule of Sarrus

In summary, we are given a determinant using the Rule of Sarrus and are asked to find the values of $x,y,z$ such that the resulting expression equals $315$. By applying row and column operations and factoring out $(x+y+z)$, we were able to reduce the determinant to a simpler form. From there, we were able to make an equation out of $(x+y+z)$ and a combination of factors, leading us to a possible value of $s = x+y+z = 15$. We also determined that $s$ must be a multiple of $3$ but not a multiple of $9$. This narrows down the possibilities for $s$ and $\sigma = yz+zx+xy$.
A.Magnus
Here is a problem I am working on: Using the Rule of Sarrus:
$$\begin{vmatrix}
x & y & z \\
z & x & y \\
y & z & x \\
\end{vmatrix}
=x^3+y^3+z^3-3xyz,$$
find $x, y, z$ such that $x^3+y^3+z^3-3xyz = 315.$

And here is what I have gotten so far: By row and column operations and by factoring out $(x+y+z)$ from th determinant, I was able to reduce the determinant to this:
$$(x+y+z)
\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
z & x-z & y-z \\
y & z-y & x-y \\
\end{vmatrix}
= (x+y+z) \bigg ((x-z)(x-y) - (y-z)(z-y) \bigg) = 315 = 3 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7.$$

I would love to make an equation out of $(x+y+z)$ with a combination of the factors of $3^2, 5$, or $7$ so that I can come up with the $x, y, z$ by trial and error. But the possibilities are simply way too many to be efficient. How should I go forward instead? As always, thank you for your time and gracious help. ~MA

Physics news on Phys.org
MaryAnn said:
Here is a problem I am working on: Using the Rule of Sarrus:
$$\begin{vmatrix}
x & y & z \\
z & x & y \\
y & z & x \\
\end{vmatrix}
=x^3+y^3+z^3-3xyz,$$
find $x, y, z$ such that $x^3+y^3+z^3-3xyz = 315.$

And here is what I have gotten so far: By row and column operations and by factoring out $(x+y+z)$ from th determinant, I was able to reduce the determinant to this:
$$(x+y+z)
\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
z & x-z & y-z \\
y & z-y & x-y \\
\end{vmatrix}
= (x+y+z) \bigg ((x-z)(x-y) - (y-z)(z-y) \bigg) = 315 = 3 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7.$$

I would love to make an equation out of $(x+y+z)$ with a combination of the factors of $3^2, 5$, or $7$ so that I can come up with the $x, y, z$ by trial and error. But the possibilities are simply way too many to be efficient. How should I go forward instead? As always, thank you for your time and gracious help. ~MA
I think you have made a good start. Next, I would re-write that large bracket by multiplying it out and rearranging it like this: $$(x-z)(x-y) - (y-z)(z-y) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 -yz-zx-xy = (x+y+z)^2 - 3(yz+zx+xy).$$ Now let $s = x+y+z$ and $\sigma = yz+zx+xy$, so that the equation becomes $$s(s^2-3\sigma) = 3 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7.$$
We have to assume that there is a solution with $x$, $y$ and $z$ integers, otherwise we don't stand a chance. Making that assumption, you can see that $s$ must be a multiple of $3$. (If it isn't, then neither is $s^2$, nor $s^2-3\sigma$, so the product cannot be a multiple of $3$.) On the other hand, $s$ cannot be a multiple of $9$. (If it is, then $s^2-3\sigma$ is a multiple of $3$, so the product is a multiple of $27$, which is not the case.)

This tells you that the first plausible candidate for $s$ is $3 \cdot 5 = 15$. In that case, $s^2 = 225$ and we must have $s^2 - 3\sigma = 3\cdot7 = 21$. That leads to $\sigma = 68.$ So we are looking for three integers with sum $15$ whose products two at a time add up to $68.$ There is still a bit of trial and error involved here, but broadly speaking if the integers are close together then $\sigma$ will be large, whereas if they are very different then $\sigma$ will be small. For example, if $(x,y,z) = (5,5,5)$ then $\sigma = 75$. But if $(x,y,z) = (13,1,1)$ then $\sigma = 27.$

Over to you ... .

Opalg said:
I think you have made a good start. Next, I would re-write that large bracket by multiplying it out and rearranging it like this: $$(x-z)(x-y) - (y-z)(z-y) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 -yz-zx-xy = (x+y+z)^2 - 3(yz+zx+xy).$$ Now let $s = x+y+z$ and $\sigma = yz+zx+xy$, so that the equation becomes $$s(s^2-3\sigma) = 3 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdot 7.$$
We have to assume that there is a solution with $x$, $y$ and $z$ integers, otherwise we don't stand a chance. Making that assumption, you can see that $s$ must be a multiple of $3$. (If it isn't, then neither is $s^2$, nor $s^2-3\sigma$, so the product cannot be a multiple of $3$.) On the other hand, $s$ cannot be a multiple of $9$. (If it is, then $s^2-3\sigma$ is a multiple of $3$, so the product is a multiple of $27$, which is not the case.)

This tells you that the first plausible candidate for $s$ is $3 \cdot 5 = 15$. In that case, $s^2 = 225$ and we must have $s^2 - 3\sigma = 3\cdot7 = 21$. That leads to $\sigma = 68.$ So we are looking for three integers with sum $15$ whose products two at a time add up to $68.$ There is still a bit of trial and error involved here, but broadly speaking if the integers are close together then $\sigma$ will be large, whereas if they are very different then $\sigma$ will be small. For example, if $(x,y,z) = (5,5,5)$ then $\sigma = 75$. But if $(x,y,z) = (13,1,1)$ then $\sigma = 27.$

Over to you ... .

Thank you very much for your gracious help and time. Looks like we have a good lead here. Allow me some times to look it over but in the meantime, please accept this posting as my acknowledgment of your help. Thank you again. ~MA

Related to Finding 3 natural numbers by the rule of Sarrus

What is the rule of Sarrus?

The rule of Sarrus is a method used to find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. It involves multiplying certain elements of the matrix and then adding or subtracting the products to find the determinant.

How do you apply the rule of Sarrus to find 3 natural numbers?

To find 3 natural numbers using the rule of Sarrus, you would need to have a given matrix where each element is a natural number. Then, you would apply the rule by multiplying certain elements and adding or subtracting the products to find the determinant. The resulting number would be your 3 natural numbers.

What are the benefits of using the rule of Sarrus to find 3 natural numbers?

The rule of Sarrus is a quick and efficient method for finding the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. It can also be used to find the determinant of larger matrices by breaking them down into smaller 3x3 matrices. Additionally, it does not require the use of complex formulas or calculations.

Are there any limitations to using the rule of Sarrus to find 3 natural numbers?

Yes, the rule of Sarrus can only be applied to 3x3 matrices. It also requires the elements of the matrix to be natural numbers, so it cannot be used for matrices with decimals or fractions. It may also be more time-consuming for larger matrices as it involves breaking them down into smaller matrices.

Can the rule of Sarrus be used to find natural numbers in matrices with negative elements?

Yes, the rule of Sarrus can be used to find natural numbers in matrices with negative elements. However, the resulting natural numbers may also be negative. It is important to pay attention to the signs of the products when applying the rule of Sarrus to matrices with negative elements.