Can a powerful capacitor be used to create a flying machine?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using a powerful capacitor to accelerate an electron to the speed of light and using it to create a floating device. The idea was questioned due to the increase in mass of the electron as it accelerates and the conservation of momentum. The technology forum was deemed the most appropriate for discussing this idea.
DrStrange
A couple of days ago while i was thinking about several stuff an idea came to me. Here goes. Imagine you have a really powerfull capacitor that has enough power to accelerate an electron to the speed of light, when the electron is put to the negative plate. The electron would never reach the speed of light because while it is
accelerating its mass will increase, right? So since it is still being accelarated the electron's mass would reach the capacitor's mass at some time. According to the conservation of the momentum (mv) the capacitor will then instead of moving the electron, move itself on the opposing direction. So what i came up with is whether it is possible (theoritically speaking) to make a really powerfull capacitor float by shooting electrons from the negative to the positive plate[?] I've been thinking this over and over but i have this feeling I'm missing something important, because I'm sure I'm not the first man who ever thought this. Anyway, i know the technology forum is not really made for posting ideas on imaginary machines, but i found it the most appropriate among the others. Sorry for the big message :wink:

Computer science news on Phys.org
It depends on what happens on the postive plate. If the electron carries on going downwards, then what you have is a powerful variant of ion propulsion, which is already used by NASA in certain space probes. If the electron stops at the positive plate, then the device wouldn't work as the electron is deaccelerated to a halt with an impulse in the opposite direction, pushing the capacitor down again.

While the concept of using a powerful capacitor to create a flying machine may seem intriguing, it is not a feasible idea. There are several reasons why this would not work.

Firstly, the idea of accelerating an electron to the speed of light is not possible. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases towards infinity. This means that it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light, making it impossible for a capacitor to achieve this.

Even if we were able to accelerate an electron to a significant fraction of the speed of light, the mass would still increase significantly, making it impossible for the capacitor to reach the same speed. As a result, the capacitor would not be able to move in the opposite direction with enough force to create lift and allow it to fly.

Additionally, even if we were able to overcome the limitations of mass and reach high speeds, the amount of power required to continuously accelerate electrons and generate lift would be immense. It would not be practical or efficient to use a capacitor for this purpose.

Furthermore, a capacitor is not designed to withstand the forces and stresses of flight. It is meant to store and release electrical energy, not to act as a propulsion system. Using a capacitor in this way would likely result in damage or failure of the capacitor.

In conclusion, while the idea of using a powerful capacitor to create a flying machine may seem interesting, it is not a viable concept. The limitations of mass, energy, and practicality make it impossible for a capacitor to be used in this way. It is important to thoroughly research and consider the feasibility of ideas before pursuing them further.

1. What inspired the idea for a flying machine?

The idea for a flying machine was inspired by observing birds and their ability to fly. The desire to achieve the same freedom of flight led to the development of various flying contraptions throughout history.

2. How does a flying machine work?

A flying machine works by creating lift through the use of wings or propellers. This lift counteracts the force of gravity and allows the machine to stay airborne. Some flying machines, such as helicopters, also use the principle of thrust to stay airborne.

3. Who invented the first successful flying machine?

The first successful flying machine was invented by the Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, in 1903. Their airplane, the Wright Flyer, was the first powered, controlled, and sustained flight in history.

4. What are the main challenges in creating a flying machine?

The main challenges in creating a flying machine include achieving enough lift to stay airborne, controlling the machine's direction and speed, and ensuring the safety of the pilot and passengers. Other challenges include finding suitable materials and designing a reliable engine.

5. What advancements have been made in flying machine technology?

Since the first successful flight in 1903, there have been numerous advancements in flying machine technology. These include the development of more efficient and powerful engines, the use of new materials for lighter and stronger aircraft, and the invention of advanced navigation and control systems. The introduction of drones and supersonic planes are also significant advancements in flying machine technology.