Find x- and y- Intercepts....3

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, finding the x- and y- intercepts in a graph is important for determining key features such as slope and position on the coordinate plane. To find these intercepts, set one variable equal to 0 and solve for the other. The intercepts can be any real number, including fractions or decimals. A negative intercept simply means it is located on the opposite side of the axis. In a real-world context, the intercepts can represent the starting and ending points of a problem, but units of measurement must be considered.
mathdad
Find the x- and y-intercepts.

y = 8x^3 - 6x - 1

Let x = 0

y = 8(0)^3 - 6(0) - 1

y = -1

The y-intercept is y = -1 and it takes place at the point
(0, -1).

To find the x-intercept, let y = 0.

0 = 8x^3 - 6x - 1

I am stuck here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think this one has "nice" roots. :(

What do "nice" roots look like?

Related to Find x- and y- Intercepts....3

1. What is the purpose of finding the x- and y- intercepts in a graph?

The x- and y- intercepts represent the points where a graph crosses the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. These points are important in determining the key features of a graph, such as the slope and the location of the graph on the coordinate plane.

2. How do I find the x- and y- intercepts of a linear equation?

To find the x-intercept, set y = 0 in the equation and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set x = 0 in the equation and solve for y. The resulting values will be the coordinates of the intercept points.

3. Can the x- and y- intercepts be fractions or decimals?

Yes, the x- and y- intercepts can be any real number, including fractions or decimals. It is important to pay attention to the scale of the graph in order to accurately determine the coordinates of the intercept points.

4. What does it mean if the x- or y- intercept is negative?

A negative intercept simply means that the intercept point falls on the opposite side of the axis from where it is typically shown. For example, a negative x-intercept would be located to the left of the y-axis, while a negative y-intercept would be located below the x-axis.

5. How do I interpret the x- and y- intercepts in the context of a real-world problem?

The x- and y- intercepts can be interpreted as the starting and ending points of a problem. For example, in a distance-time graph, the x-intercept would represent the starting point, or when the object began moving, and the y-intercept would represent the ending point, or when the object stopped moving. It is important to consider the units of measurement when interpreting intercept points in a real-world context.