Find Work Done Using Two Different Integrals

In summary, the rigid body moves along a line due to a force that produces a position function x(t)=4t^2, where x is measured in meters and t is measured in seconds. Find the work done during the first 5 seconds in two ways. In the first method, find the force and integrate with respect to distance. In the second method, use the work-energy theorem to find the work done.
FuturEngineer

Homework Statement

a rigid body with a mass of 2 kg moves along a line due to a force that produces a position function x(t)= 4t^2, where x is measured in meters and t is measured in seconds. Find the work done during the first 5 seconds in two ways.

Homework Equations

x(t)= 4t^2
Work is ->
W = Integral from a to b of the force F(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

SInce t is seconds, I tried plugging in 5 for the given eq. of x(t) = 4t^2
So I got x(5) = 4(5)^2 =
4(25)= 100 m

So then I attempted integrating 4t^2 from time 0 to time 5 and got a completely different answer. Help anyone? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A completely different answer for a completely different quantity ? There is some difference between ## x(5) ## and $$\int_0^5 x(t) \; dt$$ so why would they be the same ? And wasn't the exercise to calculate the work done ?

You haven't even found the force yet. Use Newton's law, ##F=ma##.

As one of the above posters mentioned, you don't integrate x(t) alone. You need to get acceleration function from it first to be able to derive the force. From there you have to integrate the work differential you posted with respect to t (you'll need to rewrite dx in terms of dt).

So this was also given in the problem, which I forgot to mention.
a) Note that x^n(t)=8; then use Newton's second law (F= ma = mx^n(t)) to evaluate the work integral.

(Given)
F= ma = mx^n(t))
x^n(t)=8

F= (2)(8)
F=16

W = Integral of F(x)dx from 0 to 5

I integrated 16x from 0 to 5 and got:
16(5)-16(0)= 80

For part b) is asks us to
Change variables in the work integral and integrate with respect to t. Make sure that your answer agrees with your answer in part a.

Now I know that I'd have to change the variables, so would just exchange the x with t's in the integral? Help!

FuturEngineer said:
So this was also given in the problem, which I forgot to mention.
a) Note that x^n(t)=8; then use Newton's second law (F= ma = mx^n(t)) to evaluate the work integral.

(Given)
F= ma = mx^n(t))
What do you mean by mx^n(t)?

This looks to me like ##mx^{n(t)}##, but in the context of this problem this makes no sense to me.
FuturEngineer said:
x^n(t)=8

F= (2)(8)
F=16

W = Integral of F(x)dx from 0 to 5

I integrated 16x from 0 to 5 and got:
16(5)-16(0)= 80

For part b) is asks us to
Change variables in the work integral and integrate with respect to t. Make sure that your answer agrees with your answer in part a.

Now I know that I'd have to change the variables, so would just exchange the x with t's in the integral? Help!

The integral that you just did does not take into account the fact that x(t) is not a constant function. You have to write the differential dx in terms of dt (time). Once you have the differential in terms of t, then integrate. Does that clarify things?

Also, if you want to show a second derivative, I would suggest doing it in Leibnizian notation in LaTex, or just use a quotation mark as a double prime (e.g. a(t)=x"(t)).

Also, could you write the verbatim text of each problem part?

They asked for 2 different methods. One method is to find the force and integrate it with respect to distance. In this case, the force is constant, because the acceleration is constant, so the force comes out from under the integral. What is the acceleration? What is the force?

The second method is to make use of the work-energy theorem. Do you know what that is, and how to apply it?

Chet

Related to Find Work Done Using Two Different Integrals

1. How do I find the work done using two different integrals?

The work done using two different integrals can be found by breaking down the work into two parts and using separate integrals for each part. This is often necessary when the force or displacement varies throughout the work.

2. What is the purpose of using two different integrals to find work done?

The purpose of using two different integrals is to accurately calculate the work done when the force or displacement varies. By breaking down the work into smaller parts and using separate integrals, we can get a more precise calculation of the work done.

3. Can I use any type of integral to find work done?

Yes, you can use various types of integrals such as definite, indefinite, and multiple integrals to find work done. The type of integral you use will depend on the complexity of the problem and what is being integrated.

4. What are the steps to finding work done using two different integrals?

The steps to finding work done using two different integrals are:

1. Identify the force and displacement functions for each part of the work.
  2. Set up separate integrals for each part, using the appropriate limits and variables.
  3. Evaluate each integral separately.
  4. Add the results of the two integrals to get the total work done.

5. Are there any limitations to using two different integrals to find work done?

Yes, there are some limitations to using two different integrals. This method may not be suitable for problems with complex or non-linear force or displacement functions. In such cases, other methods such as using a single integral or numerical integration may be necessary.