Find wavelength in double slit experiment

In summary: Thank you so much.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the wavelength of light in nanometers using the equation dsin(theta) = (m+1/2)lambda. After converting the distance between slits to meters and plugging in the values, the calculated wavelength is 1523 nm. However, there is confusion about this answer as it falls outside of the visible light spectrum. After discussing the calculation steps, it is determined that the mistake was converting the angle from degrees to radians, resulting in the incorrect answer. The correct wavelength is 1.523 x 10^-6m or 1523 nm.
k77i

Homework Statement

Two narrow slits are 0.4 mm apart. The dark fringe of order 5 is 1.2 degrees from the central bright fringe. What is the wavelength of the light in nm?

Homework Equations

dsin(theta) = (m +1/2)lambda
where d = distance between silts
m=order
lambda = wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems simple enough right? I converted the 0.4mm into meters and plugged all the values into the equation which gives me:

(4x10^-4)(sin1.2) = (5 + 1/2)lambda

then lambda = (4x10^-4)(sin1.2)/5.5

Since the answer i get is in meters i have to multiply it by 10^9 right? but that answer is way too big. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
1523 nm is in the infrared range of the optical spectrum. Why do you think that it is too big?

ehild

ehild said:
1523 nm is in the infrared range of the optical spectrum. Why do you think that it is too big?

ehild

Because according to my homework set that answer's not right. The wavelengths we're using in class is visible light between 400nm and 700nm and the answer I'm getting from my calculations is in the thousands.

I find that your solution is correct. I obtained the same result, 1523 nm for the wavelength. You never know, sometimes homework sets/ exercises in books are not 100% fine.

Well ok but i didnt get 1523 nm as an answer either. Did I use a wrong equation or wrong values somewhere?

No, I don't think so. the distance between slits (a) multiplied by the sin of the angle given (sinQm) equals wavelength (landa) x (order). In this case, you are referring to dark fringes and the order gets a 1/2 added to it.
So a.sinqm=landa.(5+0.5)
comes out to be 1523 x 10^-9 m.
The equation is okay, but whether or not the values are wrong I can't know, you have the exercise.

Yes all the values I posted are exactly the ones from the exercise. I set up the equation exactly like that too. There must be something really obvious that I'm not getting. Let me do it step by step to see exactly where I'm messsing up.

dsin(angle) = lambda(m+0.5)
lambda = [dsin(angle)]/(m+0.5)
lambda = [(4*10-4)(sin1.2)]/5.5
lambda = 3.73*10^-4/5.5

This gives me lambda = 6.78 * 10^-4 m and so when I convert it to nm its definitely not 1523 nm. So exactly what's my mistake?

(4*10-4)(sin1.2) actually comes up to ~ 8.377 x 10^-6 which divided by 5.5 gives ~ 1.523 x 10 ^ - 6m or 1523 nm. Remember, you are working with degrees, not radians.

Oh wow i get it. Ya it really was something obvious after all

Related to Find wavelength in double slit experiment

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

How do you find the wavelength in a double slit experiment?

To find the wavelength in a double slit experiment, you can use the equation λ = ds/D, where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the two slits, and D is the distance from the slits to the screen. By measuring these values and plugging them into the equation, you can determine the wavelength of the light being used.

Can the double slit experiment be performed with other types of waves?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be performed with any type of wave, not just light. This includes sound waves, water waves, and even electron waves.

Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and other types of waves. It also has implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

What factors can affect the results of a double slit experiment?

The results of a double slit experiment can be affected by factors such as the distance between the slits and the screen, the wavelength of the light being used, and any obstructions or disturbances in the path of the light. Additionally, the experiment must be conducted in a controlled environment to ensure accurate results.