Find velocity as a function of position x

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to find the velocity as a function of position for a particle with mass m, starting from rest and experiencing a force F(x)= Fo+cx. The individual suggests using a(x)=F(x)/m and integrating with respect to dx, but is advised to instead consider the equation a=dv/dt=(dv/dx)(dx/dt)=(dv/dx)v, leading to a separable differential equation in v and x.
KiNGGeexD
I am trying to find the velocity as a function of position for a particle of mass m that starts from rest and has a force acting on it equal to
F(x)= Fo+cx

My lecturer said that this would be an easy problem to solve but for whatever reason I am having trouble!

I have got as far as to say that

F(x)=m a(x)

So surely a(x)=F(x)/m

Then do I possibly integrate with respect to dx?

Physics news on Phys.org
KiNGGeexD said:
I am trying to find the velocity as a function of position for a particle of mass m that starts from rest and has a force acting on it equal to
F(x)= Fo+cx

My lecturer said that this would be an easy problem to solve but for whatever reason I am having trouble!

I have got as far as to say that

F(x)=m a(x)

So surely a(x)=F(x)/m

Then do I possibly integrate with respect to dx?

Integrating adx will not give you a velocity. Integrating adt would but that's not going to lead anywhere. You start by realizing a=dv/dt=(dv/dx)(dx/dt)=(dv/dx)v. If you use that then you get a separable differential equation in the variables v and x. Solve it.

Related to Find velocity as a function of position x

1. What is the formula for finding velocity as a function of position x?

The formula for finding velocity as a function of position x is v(x) = dx/dt, where v(x) represents the velocity at a specific position x, and dx/dt represents the derivative of position with respect to time.

2. How is velocity as a function of position x different from average velocity?

Velocity as a function of position x is a function that shows the instantaneous velocity at a specific position, while average velocity is the overall displacement divided by the total time taken. Velocity as a function of position x gives a more detailed and accurate representation of an object's motion.

3. Can velocity as a function of position x be negative?

Yes, velocity as a function of position x can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction or towards the negative x-axis. A positive velocity indicates motion in the positive direction or towards the positive x-axis.

4. How can velocity as a function of position x be graphed?

Velocity as a function of position x can be graphed on a position-time graph or a velocity-time graph. On a position-time graph, the slope of the tangent line at a specific position x represents the velocity at that point. On a velocity-time graph, the position x can be found by calculating the area under the graph using calculus.

5. What are the units for velocity as a function of position x?

The units for velocity as a function of position x are distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). This represents the rate of change of position with respect to time.