Find Values of x with Prescribed Slope

• Thread starter BrownianMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, one topic for the upcoming midterm is finding the values of x where a given function has a prescribed slope. There are different interpretations for this, such as finding all values of x where the function is differentiable or where the derivative equals a specific slope prescribed by the professor. It is recommended to clarify the meaning of "prescribed slope" with the professor.
BrownianMan
"Prescribed slope"

Ok, so the prof gave us a list of topics and sample questions to focus on for the midterm. This is one of them:

Find all values of x where the graph of a given function has a prescribed slope.

I take this to mean, "find all the values of x where the given function is differentiable," or just find the values of x where it is not differentiable and say that everywhere else, it is differentiable. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sounds reasonable to me, although "prescribed slope" is not a term I'm familiar with. You should get clarification from your prof.

Another interpretation could be that he will prescribe the slope, e.g. 5, and you will need to find where the derivative equals that. I agree that you should get clarification.

Related to Find Values of x with Prescribed Slope

1. What does it mean to find values of x with prescribed slope?

The phrase "find values of x with prescribed slope" refers to the process of determining the specific values of the independent variable, x, that will result in a given slope when used in a linear equation.

2. How do I find the values of x with a prescribed slope?

To find the values of x with a prescribed slope, you will need to have a linear equation in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. Then, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the values of x that will result in the given slope.

3. Can I use a graph to find values of x with prescribed slope?

Yes, you can use a graph to find values of x with prescribed slope. You can plot the linear equation on a graph and use the rise over run method to determine the slope. Then, you can visually identify the values of x that will result in the given slope.

4. What are some real-life applications of finding values of x with prescribed slope?

Finding values of x with prescribed slope has many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, in engineering, you can use this concept to determine the optimal angle for a ramp or the most efficient slope for a drainage system.

5. Are there any online tools or resources for finding values of x with prescribed slope?

Yes, there are many online tools and resources available for finding values of x with prescribed slope. Some examples include graphing calculators, online equation solvers, and tutorials on algebraic methods for solving linear equations. These resources can be helpful for both students and professionals working with linear equations.