Find Values of a, b, c, and d for f(f(x)) = x | Confusing Problem Solution

• Thread starter nietzsche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a general solution for a function that is equal to x for all x. The student attempted to solve the equation for which a=d, b=c=0, and c=d.
nietzsche

Homework Statement

For which numbers a, b, c, and d will the function

[tex]
f(x) &= \frac{ax+b}{cx+d}
[/tex]

satisfy f(f(x)) = x for all x (for which this equation makes sense.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the answer will consist of specific values, or just a general solution, but here is my attempt so far:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
f(f(x)) &= \frac{a\frac{ax+b}{cx+d} + b}{c\frac{ax+b}{cx+d} + d}\\
x &= \frac{a^2x + ab + bcx + bd}{cax + cb + dcx + d^2}\\
0 &= cx^2 + (d-a)x - b
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I skipped a bunch of steps in between, but that was the final equation I ended up with after simplification. Which was really weird, because I don't know what to do with that. If I had to guess, from the last equation, a, b, c, d must be values that satisfy the equation

[tex]
x = \frac{ax+b}{cx+d}
[/tex]

but again, I'm really confused and am not sure how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
uh...

i can see that it will work when a=d and b=c=0, but that seems a bit trivial.

No, you won't get specific values for a,b,c and d. You'll get a condition from them to satisfy. But you are equating the wrong things. Your expression for f(f(x)) isn't equal to x. It's equal to f(x)=(ax+b)/(cx+d). Equate those. I.e.
[tex]\frac{a^2x + ab + bcx + bd}{cax + cb + dcx + d^2}=\frac{ax+b}{cx+d}[/tex].
If you clear out the denominators and move everything to one side, you'll get a quadratic in x^2 that must be 0 for all x. So the coefficients of x^2, x and the constant must all be equal to zero. See if you can figure out a condition on a,b,c and d that makes that true.

Dick said:
No, you won't get specific values for a,b,c and d. You'll get a condition from them to satisfy. But you are equating the wrong things. Your expression for f(f(x)) isn't equal to x. It's equal to f(x)=(ax+b)/(cx+d). Equate those. I.e.
[tex]\frac{a^2x + ab + bcx + bd}{cax + cb + dcx + d^2}=\frac{ax+b}{cx+d}[/tex].
If you clear out the denominators and move everything to one side, you'll get a quadratic in x^2 that must be 0 for all x. So the coefficients of x^2, x and the constant must all be equal to zero. See if you can figure out a condition on a,b,c and d that makes that true.

but the question says "for which a, b, c ,d will the f(f(x)) = x for all x"

i thought that means that f(f(x)) = x?

nietzsche said:
but the question says "for which a, b, c ,d will the f(f(x)) = x for all x"

i thought that means that f(f(x)) = x?

Indeed you are right. I was reading the problem wrong. Let me work it out again. But you still should turn the expression into a quadratic in x equalling 0 and then set the coefficients to zero.

[tex]

\begin{align*}
0 &= cx^2 + (d-a)x - b
\end{align*}

[/tex]

that's the quadratic i got

nietzsche said:
[tex]

\begin{align*}
0 &= cx^2 + (d-a)x - b
\end{align*}

[/tex]

that's the quadratic i got

That's great. You are way ahead of me. Now the only way that can be zero for all x is if each coefficient equals zero. What do you conclude?

d=a, c=0, b=0

i think...

thanks for your help today dick.

nietzsche said:
d=a, c=0, b=0

i think...

thanks for your help today dick.

And that corresponds to f(x)=x, the trivial solution. I'm noticing you dropped an overall factor in the quadratic. Shouldn't it be multiplied by (a+d)? That gives you another solution possibility. Careful!

oh...yeah, there was an a+d in there. does that mean that if a+d = 0, it is also true?

nietzsche said:
oh...yeah, there was an a+d in there. does that mean that if a+d = 0, it is also true?

It sure does! Put d=(-a) into your expression for f(f(x)).

Thanks very much!

Related to Find Values of a, b, c, and d for f(f(x)) = x | Confusing Problem Solution

1. What is the purpose of "Another confusing problem"?

The purpose of "Another confusing problem" is to present a challenging issue or question that requires scientific investigation and analysis. This could be related to a variety of fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, or psychology.

2. How do scientists approach "Another confusing problem"?

Scientists approach "Another confusing problem" by following the scientific method. This involves formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments or observations, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

3. Why is it important to study "Another confusing problem"?

Studying "Another confusing problem" is important because it can lead to a better understanding of the natural world and potentially lead to new discoveries or advancements in a particular field. It also allows scientists to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some common challenges when trying to solve "Another confusing problem"?

Some common challenges when trying to solve "Another confusing problem" include limited resources or funding, ethical considerations, and the complexity of the problem itself. Additionally, the answers to these types of problems may not be immediately clear and may require further research or collaboration with other scientists.

5. How can the findings from "Another confusing problem" be applied in the real world?

The findings from "Another confusing problem" can be applied in the real world through practical applications or further research. For example, the development of new technologies, medicines, or policies may stem from the findings of a confusing problem. Additionally, the research may spark new ideas or avenues of study for other scientists.