Find Value of 2nd Capacitor in Series w/ Known 1st

In summary, to find the value of the other capacitor in a series circuit, you would need to know the total capacitance and the capacitance of one of the capacitors. Then, using the equation {1 \over C_{tot}} = {1 \over C_1} + {1 \over C_2}, you can easily solve for the unknown capacitance. Alternatively, if you know the charge and potential, you can use the equation C=Q/V to find the unknown capacitance. It is helpful to have a list of equations and to carefully consider what information you have before attempting to solve the problem.
dan greig
if there are two capacitors in series and the capacitance of one is known how would i find a value for the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
dan greig said:
if there are two capacitors in series and the capacitance of one is known how would i find a value for the other?

I am assuming that you know the total capacitance (the capacitance of the two combined), right? Otherwise it's impossible to answer:eek:

For two capacitors in series, the total capacitance is given by
[itex] {1 \over C_{tot}} = {1 \over C_1} + {1 \over C_2} [/itex], ore, if you prefer [itex] C_{total} = { C_1 C_2 \over C_1 + C_2} [/itex].

You know the total capacitance and C_1 (say). Then you can easily solve for C_2.

Patrick

[tex] {1 \over C_{tot}} = {1 \over C_1} + {1 \over C_2} [/tex]

Well, what is the exact problem? Like he said above, you would need to know the total capacitance, OR the charge and the potential :-) seeing how C=Q/V. When dealing with electricity, capacitors, and resistors... It's best to write down what you are given, have a list of equations next to you and look at the equations to see which ones match up with what you need :-)

Related to Find Value of 2nd Capacitor in Series w/ Known 1st

What is the formula for finding the value of the second capacitor in a series with a known first capacitor?

The formula for finding the value of the second capacitor in a series with a known first capacitor is C2 = (C1*Ctotal)/(Ctotal - C1), where C1 is the value of the known first capacitor and Ctotal is the total capacitance of the series circuit.

How do I calculate the total capacitance in a series circuit?

The total capacitance in a series circuit can be calculated by adding the reciprocal values of each individual capacitor and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. So for a series circuit with capacitors C1 and C2, the total capacitance would be 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2.

Can I use this formula for capacitors in parallel?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the value of the second capacitor in a series circuit. For capacitors in parallel, the total capacitance can be calculated by simply adding all of the individual capacitance values together.

What units should I use when plugging in values for capacitance?

The units used for capacitance should be farads (F) or its subunits such as microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF). Make sure to convert any other units into farads before plugging them into the formula.

Are there any limitations to using this formula?

This formula assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as internal resistance or the frequency of the circuit. It is best used for basic calculations and may not be accurate for more complex circuits.