Find ∆V while sliding a card through a card reader with magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of emf in a coil with 25 loops, where emf equals B*L*v per coil. The amplitude of B is assumed to be 24 uT, the velocity as 3m/s, and the length as 1mm. The calculations should be considered for different scenarios, such as when a magnetized region is entering or leaving the coil's area, and taking into account the different magnetic field strengths depicted in the diagram.
kayneblue12
Homework Statement
You can slide your (old style, magnetic strip) credit card in a reader, and it somehow gets your credit card number. How does it do this?, Explain, with appropriate equations, what voltage ∆V you will see (as a function of time) if you slide the strip – with its magnetized regions – past a reader coil of wire as shown above.
Relevant Equations
motional emf = vBL, emf = dΦ/dt
emf = dΦ/dt = (B*A)*d/dt = B(dA/dt), dA/dt= L*d/dt(vt) = L*v, emf = B*L*v per coil

Since there are 25 loops the total emf= 25(vBL) This is where I'm am stuck. Would I assume that B is 24 uT, the velocity as 3m/s , and the length as 1mm? If so I would get ∆V as 1.8*10^-6.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 6.30.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 6.30.39 PM.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 263
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kayne, ##\quad## :welcome: ##\quad## !

Sound reasoning. I think you have the right amplitude. But the exercise asks 'what voltage ∆V you will see'
So can you describe what the signal looks like ? (e.g. 'it's a sine wave')

Likes collinsmark
kayneblue12 said:
and the length as 1mm
There are several lengths depicted in the diagram. Which one should be used for L?

Likes collinsmark and BvU
BvU said:
I think you have the right amplitude
o:) In view of @TSny 's post: reconsider ! :rolleyes:
Question: how does it look? still open

@kayneblue12,

In case you haven't figured this out yet, you should consider your calculations at several different scenarios.

What's the voltage when a magnetized region is in the process of entering the coil's area?

What's the voltage when a magnetized region is in the process of leaving the coil's area?

Also, according to your diagram, some magnetic regions have the magnetic field [itex] B = 24 \ \mathrm{\mu T} [/itex] while others have [itex] B = 25 \ \mathrm{\mu T} [/itex]. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not, but you shouldn't ignore it unless you are given a correction.

Related to Find ∆V while sliding a card through a card reader with magnetic field

1. How does a card reader use a magnetic field to read a card?

The card reader has a magnetic strip inside that contains tiny iron particles. When the card is swiped through the reader, the magnetic strip creates a unique pattern of magnetization on the particles, which is then read by the reader's sensor.

2. What is the purpose of finding ∆V while sliding a card through a card reader?

∆V, or the change in voltage, is used to determine whether the card reader has successfully read the information on the magnetic strip. If there is a significant change in voltage, it indicates that the reader has successfully read the card's data.

3. How does the magnetic field affect the card's data while it is being read?

The magnetic field in the card reader causes the magnetic particles on the card's strip to align in a specific pattern, representing the data stored on the card. This alignment is what allows the reader to read and interpret the information on the card.

4. Can the magnetic field in a card reader damage my credit or debit card?

No, the magnetic field in a card reader is not strong enough to damage or erase the data on a credit or debit card's magnetic strip. However, it is recommended to keep your card away from strong magnetic sources, as they can cause damage.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the ∆V while sliding a card through a card reader?

Yes, the material and thickness of the card, the speed at which it is swiped, and any interference from external magnetic fields can also affect the ∆V reading. It is essential to keep the card's strip clean and free from scratches or damage for an accurate reading.